Compass Rose (progress pics added)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thought I'd share the progress on my latest project. This is the panel for another serving tray. It is wetted down with some DNA for the pic. Panel is walnut, the oval is bubinga, and the rose is maple and :icon_scra I can't remember. I hope to put some stringing around the oval tonight (wish me luck with that!!!) and have the tray finished this weekend.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_12811.JPG

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Re: Compass Rose

Really nice! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I want to make one of those to inlay in my foyer floor. Do you have any in-progress "how-to" pics or a good book? I especially interested in the jig or whatever you use for cutting and fitting the precise angles.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

WOW!

What awesome work, Ed! :icon_cheers

Someone is going to be a very happy recipient of this piece. Great attention to details that I would never have the patience for.:no:

Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing the finished tray.

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

Beautiful as always!

BTW, what do you use to rout the relief areas?
And why do I consistently misspell relief?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member

Beautiful work, Ed. As Alan has already requested, it would be great to see the process in detail. The stringing will set it off nicely.

Matt

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Hey Alan, I followed Mike Henderson's tutorial. I think it would work for a floor inlay, you're just dealing with really thick veneer!

Thanks!!

I will likely do it with 1/4" thick pieces vise veneer to allow the floor to be refinished once or twice. I was also thinking of attaching it to a good ply backing that I can route perfectly round to match a round recess I would make in the floor.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

Hey Ed - Very Cool :icon_thum

Did you cut them out with your new bandsaw??? :wink_smil

pete

nelsone

New User
Ed

Thanks!!

I will likely do it with 1/4" thick pieces vise veneer to allow the floor to be refinished once or twice. I was also thinking of attaching it to a good ply backing that I can route perfectly round to match a round recess I would make in the floor.

The backer board is probably a good idea. The process is not really that hard. I made a template for the angles, but I was able to use a razor knife to cut the veneer. I guess if I were to do what you are talking about, I mark the angles and cut them with a bandsaw and sand to the line. A shooting board properly set up would probably work too! Let us see how it comes out!

Hey Ed - Very Cool :icon_thum

Did you cut them out with your new bandsaw??? :wink_smil

pete

The only bandsaw work so far was to book match the walnut panel. I had the veneer from an ebay purchase that will keep me busy for a while!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

WOW!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Ed,

That's incredible, just flat out incredible. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If that were my serving tray, it would be in a glass case hanging on the wall. :wink_smil

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

That is simply outrageously BEAUTIFUL~!

You ROCK~!

Main Entry: out·ra·geous
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)au̇t-ˈrā-jəs\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : exceeding the limits of what is usual

My Wife said she wants it~!