Combining stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtG

New User
Kurt
Here is a question from one who is inexperienced: If I have two boards that are 4/4, can I glue them together to get the 8/4 thickness that I desire or am I better off starting with an 8/4 board.

Look forward to reading what you all have to say.

KurtG

New User
Kurt
I was going to try my hand at one of those end grain cutting boards. I have some 8/4 walnut but only 4/4 maple (rough).

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I was going to try my hand at one of those end grain cutting boards. I have some 8/4 walnut but only 4/4 maple (rough).

Kurt, I don't see why it would not work except that you might see the glue line where the two different maple grains come together - I am sure others that have built some of the cuttin boards will chime in and give you some better advice

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I use all sorts of different sizes for cutting boards. You can get some cool patterns by alternating the sizes and grain orientations.
442386593_b9CfG-X3.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I use all sorts of different sizes for cutting boards. You can get some cool patterns by alternating the sizes and grain orientations.
442386593_b9CfG-X3.jpg

Michael, are you saying that he doesn't have to glue it up to get what he wants? are you saying that he can alternate the maple - bw- maple and still have the desired demission of the board?

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Flatheadfisher - Great looking boards and thanks Kurt for asking about 4/4 usage in a Butcher Block you have given me more ways to make blocks..

You can also use 8/4 x 1, 2, 3, and 4" long and you can use 4/4 the same way. You can come up with some great looking blocks.

Kurt the answer to you question is yes..

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very nice boards.
Those are inmy near future but not as good as yours:nah:.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Michael, are you saying that he doesn't have to glue it up to get what he wants? are you saying that he can alternate the maple - bw- maple and still have the desired demission of the board?

I was pointing out that there are other possibilities for making cutting boards than using all 8/4 stock. If he alternates, he might like the pattern and the dimensions should come out the same if milled correctly. I assumed he was just getting started with making these and didn't have a particular pattern in mind. That assumption may be false!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS