Colt Maxicut Forstner Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Smith

New User
Tumblweed
After frying my set of Wood River Forstner bits making a pepper mill from Honduran Rosewood I invested in a set of Colt Maxicuts. As would be expected the difference was night and day. They cut so well I couldn't believe how easily they were moving thru the blank, had to make myself go slow.
I had the Wood Rivers at about 275 RPM, Colt at 400 and they worked as advertised. To be fair the Wood Rivers had done ok on walnut and cherry, but the rosewood blued them till they were black even tough they were freshly sharpened. Just thought I would post on this in case anyone had thought of getting a set of these, I am well pleased. Went ahead and purchased the 10" extension, no screws in this one. Just slide in the bit and give a slight twist and it locks very tightly.
colt-maxicut-forstner-bits.jpg
colt-maxicut-forstner-bits.jpg

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks for the tip. I have been looking at a couple of carbide-tipped Forstner sets. I will take your comments under advisement.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Good info to know. Hace a cheap set of Forstner bits I purchased mainly to make a few mills. I remember buying a set of taps and dies at an auction. They looked almost new. When I went to use one, I found out why; they wouldn't cut a thread on anything, while the set I next purchased @ Sears worked as expected. Quality is everything!:tool:

Tommy Smith

New User
Tumblweed
Thanks for the heads up.
Q: How well do they track on edge, or at an angle?

Reviews stated that the Colts excelled in all ares, I won't be doing angled cuts anytime soon. What I did do was bore straight into the rosewood and it was straight and very clean, sliced thru very easily. Thats all I can honestly say right now. BTW, these do have not a Carbide tip, high quality German steel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lQczm0pZg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS