Colonial Style Leg Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
One of daughters is asking me to construct a small console table for their entry hall and is pretty adamant about the colonial style of the legs.

Picture of what she has requested...

French-Country-Two-Drawer-Hall-Table-6050419FC.jpg

This table height is roughly 29" tall, 42" wide and 14" deep. I have been looking on the Web for colonial style legs that would foot the bill. Most turned legs I have come across in this length are generally anywhere from 2"-3" thick. I am thinking that these appear to be around 1 1/2" thick at the top square end.

I have even looked at stair balusters as an option, but we go to the other extreme. Standard square end balusters are around 1 1/4".

(I would give a go at turning my own, the length exceeds my Rikon mini lathe bed length.)

Anyone have ideas for a source for these? (I even checked out the local Habitat store in hopes of getting lucky on a recyclable table to steal the legs from .... no luck.)

Thanks

Wayne

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plan B could be you coming to my shop and turning them on my lathe. It would be good to see it being used

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Wayne,

You are welcome to use my lathe. I have the same lathe as Phil, but I'm much closer.
Plus I am retired and my shop is available during the day.
Sorry Phil, I know some people have to work. Lol

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Wayne, After looking at lots of 18th century colonial through federal period furniture pieces, I'd Expect a 29" tall table leg of this type would probably come from 8/4 stock.

This table may have 1 7/8" legs. I think it would be unusual for them to be much smaller though I've seen modern production legs that were larger.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
FWIW, those legs are made in two pieces. The upper section would be about 22 in. long. Maybe that helps with the length of the lathe?

A few years ago we did a draper's table for a seamstress in Virginia. No photo but this is from the model I did for the plans.

The legs came from Osborne and as I recall, they were customized a bit. In this case we were able to have them make the legs with extra long square top sections. If you need something they don't show on their website, you could ask them for it.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used Osborne before and they have a large selection of turned legs in multiple woods. Haven't looked for some specifically shaped like these.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
+1 on Osborne. Used them years ago and was more than satisfied with their product(s).

Red

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you, TENdriver. It was an interesting project because it had to go into a vintage-style seamstress's shop and it needed to be strong enough to support bolts of cloth on the shelf. I think she was pleased with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors