College Logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
In the NCWW service area there are a number of colleges and universities and college logos are popular for decorating our creations. In most instances usage is licensed by the institution and obtaining rights can be a pricey proposition. Virginia Tech now has a new program geared to those who create things without a mega factory or mega bucks, although $125 is not chicken feed it is a step in the right direction away from the current system which is weighted against "the little guy". Hopefully other schools will see the wisdom in following suit.
http://www.roanoke.com/community/vi...cle_576114fc-f42f-11e3-a18a-001a4bcf6878.html

On a personal note after I retired from law enforcement I took a position with the athletic department of the first community college in NJ. The school was founded in 1966 and shortly thereafter one of the student athletes with an artistic bent submitted a Vikings logo (Ocean County College so the sea reference made sense). The logo of a Viking's head was quickly adopted and adorned everything from uniforms to book covers. A few years later a certain NFL team from MN had their legal people contact the school regarding the logo which turned about to be strikingly similar to their team logo. :eusa_doh: After negotiations it was agreed that future promotional items would be sans the disputed logo and uniforms could be used for the balance of their useful life. The college substituted a depiction of a generic Viking ship as the logo which remained until the early 21st century when it morphed into a modernistic "wave" depiction. Even this was not without controversy when an overzealous member of the Nike legal team contacted the school and said the logo bore too much resemblance to their trademark "swoosh". Fortunately cooler heads prevailed and the college kept the new logo. :wsmile:

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
There is a software package called Logo's Pro that contains >3,000 logos all licensed for use (via the purchase) by engravers and publishers. It cost me $500+/- several years ago and has every school I ever heard of and dozens I haven't, every major US public company, government seals and bugs, fraternal and maternal orgs, and hundreds of misc. logos.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
OCC Alum here. Go Vikings!

In the NCWW service area there are a number of colleges and universities and college logos are popular for decorating our creations. In most instances usage is licensed by the institution and obtaining rights can be a pricey proposition. Virginia Tech now has a new program geared to those who create things without a mega factory or mega bucks, although $125 is not chicken feed it is a step in the right direction away from the current system which is weighted against "the little guy". Hopefully other schools will see the wisdom in following suit.
http://www.roanoke.com/community/vi...cle_576114fc-f42f-11e3-a18a-001a4bcf6878.html

On a personal note after I retired from law enforcement I took a position with the athletic department of the first community college in NJ. The school was founded in 1966 and shortly thereafter one of the student athletes with an artistic bent submitted a Vikings logo (Ocean County College so the sea reference made sense). The logo of a Viking's head was quickly adopted and adorned everything from uniforms to book covers. A few years later a certain NFL team from MN had their legal people contact the school regarding the logo which turned about to be strikingly similar to their team logo. :eusa_doh: After negotiations it was agreed that future promotional items would be sans the disputed logo and uniforms could be used for the balance of their useful life. The college substituted a depiction of a generic Viking ship as the logo which remained until the early 21st century when it morphed into a modernistic "wave" depiction. Even this was not without controversy when an overzealous member of the Nike legal team contacted the school and said the logo bore too much resemblance to their trademark "swoosh". Fortunately cooler heads prevailed and the college kept the new logo. :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The license issue goes way beyond schools. All pro teams and even all the branches of the US military own the rights to their logo. A few years ago a couple well known scroll saw pattern designers where "told" to discontinue sale of their patterns based on the armed forces logos. Now I understand you can make a pattern from or copy the logo for person use BUT you can't sell the pattern or the finish product.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
For a number of years my brother was a regional manager of loss prevention for Toys R Us. Toys R Us aggressively enforced their logo and name as well as other trademarks they owned. Whenever a user of their backwards "R" came to their attention, the user received a letter to "cease and desist".

Sports teams are aggressive protecting their trademarks. After all, look as the recent action related to Washington "Redskin" name. The government has taken their trademark exclusivity protection away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors