Cole Jaws for Dirty Santa - now with finished pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
It is that time of year again. Time for Dirty Santa with my extended family :). For the last couple years I have been bringing something I made.

This year I want to finish up a platter:

(Please excuse the incorrect white balance on this one)

This is a fun piece of hickory that Joe Bradshaw helped me carve up with a chainsaw last year. I rough turned it Nov 2010.

I really like how the form turned out but I didn't have any good way to remove the foot I had used with the chuck.

After a little googling I found this: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_123.shtml

I mostly followed the instructions but I could not find the buttons at Lowes he was talking about. So I am currently using "1/2 Beveled Washers" from the faucet repair section. They work pretty well but I would like to find some taller ones eventually.

The chuck works well. And I am only out 2.11$ :) (scrap ply and drywall screws are free right?).

Here is a picture of the bowl reverse chucked:

I will post some better pictures of the finished product after I buff it out.
Thanks for reading!
Salem

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Re: Cole Jaws for Dirty Santa

Nice work. I have a small set of jaws but I need a set that is a bit bigger. I bought extra buttons for the wood river cole jaws I have I wonder if they will work? how are you holding the "buttons" on?

Thanks
Mark

eyekode

New User
Salem

Mark, my first thought was to use replacement buttons from Nova. But Woodcraft was out and I have to finish by Saturday. I read of other people using nova buttons and T-nuts on their homemade cole jaws so my guess is the WoodRiver would work fine too.

I am using drywall screws. I predrilled 1/8" holes in the ply. The buttons already had a nice centered hole. I was concerned it would not be strong enough but it seems fine. If they strip out from over use I may switch to machine screws and T-nuts.

Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem

Good eyes! I have not drilled them yet. Wanted to make sure the first ones worked :).
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem

Finished the bowl up last night. Here are some pics:

Joe Bradshaw has the other half of this hickory crotch. I wonder if he ever turned it?

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS