Coil nailer issue

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a Bostitch coil nailer, 15 degree, 0.75 - 1.75 nail length capability; model BRN175A.
When i used it for siding where there was no sheathing, 1" roofing nails worked great (Matabo brand).
Now with 3/4"(?) thick sheathing, a 1" nail never really makes it to the stud. Hence I buy a box of Metabo brand siding nails - 1.75" ring shank. Aside from the coils being almost too large for the gun, the real issue has been that the lower connecting wire in the coil is not well accommodated by the gun. I have not located Bostitch brand nails at Lowe's or HD in a length fits and will work here.
Coil nailer - 20200610_183106.jpg

So is it foolish to consider filing a slot into that lower piece - to allow the nails to advance as they should? If you were to try this, what would you use? Or is this part of a hardened steel head that will resist my efforts entirely?

Currently it is about a 50/50 chance of the nails advancing and resetting the coil every other shot gets old fast.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
double check the max length of nails it can take, they appear to be too big for your gun. looks like max is 1.5

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
coil nailer 2 20200610_183039.jpg
Nope, at least the box states 1.75".
You can just see the end of the nail size range printed at the bottom of the pic.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
dont get mad but you have framing nails in a roofing gun. Your own words siding nails, nope not in a roofing gun. Very possible you could get hurt, If you have alot of sheathing to do, just buy a proper gun, coil nailers are great, just have to be the right one.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
dont get mad but you have framing nails in a roofing gun. Your own words siding nails, nope not in a roofing gun. Very possible you could get hurt, If you have alot of sheathing to do, just buy a proper gun, coil nailers are great, just have to be the right one.
Lol "don't get mad, but..."

A light siding gun is nice to have. Great for sheathing and subfloor too.

What kind of siding and sheathing are you putting up with 1" nails?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Taylor - I was putting Hardiplank on with 1" roofing nails. That was a shed with no sheathing.
Currently I am installing Hardiplank onto a sheathed wall that clearly needs nails longer than 1".

Jack - not mad at all. I post questions and want to hear others ideas and answers.
But no, at 1.75" these are not framing nails; at 1.75 inches these would protrude about 0.25" through any 2x material.
Framing nails would be 3.5" (I think) although I admit that I have never used a framing nailer.
Box of nail is labeled as siding nails. They work great, but as stated earlier and shown in the pic, the coil wire is not completely compatible with the gun.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Henry,
Framing nails come at 1 1/2 thru 3" 6, 8, 10, 16. When sheathing generally 10 penny 2 1/2 are what you use. Rule of thumb is; penetration into the framing material is the thickness of the material being nailed to it at a minimum hence why #6 for 1/2" sheathing, full 1" into stud, 1 1/2 #6,Ring nails hold even better. 2x material is generally #16, 3", 10 is 2 1/2. You need the proper gun for those nails you bought.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Taylor - I was putting Hardiplank on with 1" roofing nails. That was a shed with no sheathing.
Currently I am installing Hardiplank onto a sheathed wall that clearly needs nails longer than 1".

Jack - not mad at all. I post questions and want to hear others ideas and answers.
But no, at 1.75" these are not framing nails; at 1.75 inches these would protrude about 0.25" through any 2x material.
Framing nails would be 3.5" (I think) although I admit that I have never used a framing nailer.
Box of nail is labeled as siding nails. They work great, but as stated earlier and shown in the pic, the coil wire is not completely compatible with the gun.

There isn't much difference between siding and framing coil nails.

For siding I prefer a small, smooth head with no waffle pattern. I would call those siding nails, since I consider them too short for sheathing.

I think 1" is too short, even without sheathing. You're only getting 11/16 of nail into the stud if you're blind nailing. I like 8 d ring shanks or spirals for siding, but I see guys using 1-3/4". I think you either need a box of the longest roofing nails you can get or pick up a siding or stick nailer. If you're not doing a ton, you could always hand drive with maze nails.

I remember guys using roofing nails in Hardie ~5 years ago. Everyone I've ever worked for has used siding nails and it's what I see other people doing more recently. I'm not sure if something changed in the install guidelines or what.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Roofing nails will rust away, leaving stains on the siding. In a few years, they will let boards hang down, which means face nailing them to get them back up.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
ABC, Whitecap, Builders First source or BMC one of them will have the kind (brand) of nails you want.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Henry, have you checked with Bostitch about your problem? They may have some FAQ that may address your situation. Probably won't get any customer service but you may get lucky.

Roy G

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have owned and do own several nail guns. Mine are all stick nailers but this is what I have found to be true. Not all guns will use all nails. I have a senco brad nailer that shoots up to 1 1/4" nails so long as they are senco nails. Other brands of nails I have to buy 1 3/16" nails. The nails you bought may not be compatible with the gun you have.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The nails you bought may not be compatible with the gun you have.
Agreed there - the nails are just 'not compatible' with the gun (to work consistently at least).

The question that no one has addressed is still out there: "Is it foolish or even possible to file a slot in the gun to allow the 'tie wire' of the coil (the incompatible coil) to flow, and therefore make the coil compatible?"

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Agreed there - the nails are just 'not compatible' with the gun (to work consistently at least).

The question that no one has addressed is still out there: "Is it foolish or even possible to file a slot in the gun to allow the 'tie wire' of the coil (the incompatible coil) to flow, and therefore make the coil compatible?"
Possibly but I would not modify the gun. I would buy the correct nails and sell the ones that don't fit on craigslist. Or buy a gun for the nails. What ever is cheaper.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I tend not to modify things that are capable of shooting projectiles at a high rate of speed. Bad things can happen fast.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Possibly but I would not modify the gun. I would buy the correct nails and sell the ones that don't fit on craigslist. Or buy a gun for the nails. What ever is cheaper.
So far I haven't been able to locate the 'correct' nails for the gun (not at Lowe's or HD, or Builder's Source (online). Want 1.75" 'siding' nails that will work in a Bostitch nailer - whatever the model # (shown in original post above).

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Bostitch › roofing-and-siding-nailers
Bostitch Roofing Nailer - BRN175 | BOSTITCH
No longer available. 1 1/2" nails are longest listed by bostich site.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS