Coffee Table: Update

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
We moved the coffee table from the shop to its new home, our living room. Many of you commented on the table's unusual shape, and it is unique - but, this is what my wife wanted. It certainly would not work with a traditional sofa, but I think it works well with our sectional sofa. As to the finish schedule, I used a paste made from Timbermate as the initial grain filler, followed by sanding to 220; I then made a mix of Old Masters Grain Filler and Minwax Weathered Oak Stain (2 parts Old Masters, 1 part Minwax Stain). I did not sand after the application of this mixture, but I did rub it out with clean cloths after about 15 minutes. The next day I started applying multiple coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly (Clear Satin). I can't recall exactly how many coats I applied, at least six. After every second coat, I sanded with a 1000 grit pad on a Festool finish sander. My wife is delighted with the result, therefore I am happy, too!

741B832A-939E-40B9-944E-269AB1DBFB12.jpeg
BCFD3152-E5CA-4443-A522-41BAC828D989.jpeg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
The shape is perfect for that room.

What's the purpose of the bottom platform? I could see myself spewing some $@*&#!! language stubbing my toes on that.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
The shape is perfect for that room.

What's the purpose of the bottom platform? I could see myself spewing some $@*&#!! language stubbing my toes on that.
Martin, the plan is to put some sort of storage baskets under the table, at least that I what I am told. In retrospect, perhaps I should have made the bottom shelf a few inches small than the table top...only time will tell!

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Donn - Looks great! Did you turn the legs also?

Do you have any tips on the Minwax Wipe On Poly? What do you use to apply it? I used it once for a kid's table that I refinished. I put on 6 coats but could never get an even sheen. I've also tried it on a turned bowl with similar results. I've used Minwax brush on poly for over 25 years and love it. I just can't get the hang of the wipe on.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn - Looks great! Did you turn the legs also?

Do you have any tips on the Minwax Wipe On Poly? What do you use to apply it? I used it once for a kid's table that I refinished. I put on 6 coats but could never get an even sheen. I've also tried it on a turned bowl with similar results. I've used Minwax brush on poly for over 25 years and love it. I just can't get the hang of the wipe on.
Brad, I did turn the legs (thanks for asking). I am not a "Turner", in fact this is the first time I have actually used anything I turned in a project. I purpose made the turning simple, therefore repeatable. Overall, I am pleased...that said, if you placed all three turnings side by side you would find they are very similar, but not identical; the separation between them works to great advantage.

Regarding the application of the poly, I use a foam brush for the first several coats, but when I get to the final two coats, I have found it is much easier for me to get a smooth finish by using a cloth to apply very light coats.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice, Donn. I think the little fellow in the second pic is eying the bottom platform as a nice place for a dog bed.

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS