Coffee Ground Patch(how to?) Update with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Hate to ask a dumb question but I have seen alot of you talk about patching with the coffee grounds - how do you do it - mix it with what - wood glue? CA? this question might have already been asked but........I would not know how to search it - Coffee patch? Coffee Grounds?

Cherry_Coffee.jpg

View image in gallery

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Re: Coffee Ground Patch(how to?)

It may not be the best way but I put some CA in, grounds on that, more CA, more grounds, etc. I use a piece of baggie on a finger to press the grounds. With a void that size I think I'd use medium CA with accelerator and do it in layers.
Got enough of the turning shavings to use to fill it Phillip?

woodArtz

New User
Bob

I use a mortar and pestle to crush the dry coffee grounds. Mix it in with two part epoxy. Then, slap it on the area you want to fill. If the area is particularly deep, I do it in multiple steps. The epoxy dries fast, so hurry ;). Hope that helps.

Last edited:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

That is a big void, personally I would do 1 of 2 things.

!. finish turning and leave the void exposed, and finish it.
2. unless overly attached to that piece of wood-scrap it.

But to actually answer your question, Bob's suggestion of Epoxy for a void that size is best, or even some casting resin. For a CA patch I fill the void in layers using a thinned med CA. I personally find the med a bit thick, but the thin a bit thin so I mix them to a consistency I like. I do a layer of filler and flood with CA. DO NOT accelerate or it WILL turn cloudy. Wait a few min. do another layer and flood again.

Just my method and what works for me.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

It may not be the best way but I put some CA in, grounds on that, more CA, more grounds, etc. I use a piece of baggie on a finger to press the grounds. With a void that size I think I'd use medium CA with accelerator and do it in layers.
Got enough of the turning shavings to use to fill it Phillip?

:eusa_doh:Ken I didn't even think about the shavings - I seen that this void is dark and the first thing I though about was the coffee patch - I cleaned all the shavings up with the vacume - The void want be that big - I stopped there until I seen how to do the patch

I use a mortar a pestle to crush the dry coffee grounds. Mix it in with two part epoxy. Then, slap it on the area you want to fill. If the are is particularly thick, I do it in multiple steps. The epoxy drys fast, so hurry ;). Hope that helps.

Thanks, didn't think about the Epoxy - I have the 15 min kind hope that will give me enough time to get it patched

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David

I've always liked leaving the voids visible and open in the vessels I've turned. Something about them makes it look ancient and reminds me where I started. That being said, I suppose I should try something new!

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I've always liked leaving the voids visible and open in the vessels I've turned. Something about them makes it look ancient and reminds me where I started. That being said, I suppose I should try something new!

I might would leave this one but it is going to be a bottle stopper top and I don't think anyone would want that there - I am going to turn it down some more and see what it looks like -

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I've filled knots in walnut successfully with a mix of 2-part epoxy and ground coffee. Just grind it very fine. But for a big gap like that, I'd probably use a 2-part woodfiller. It's similar to Bondo, except it remains flexible so it will move with the rest of the wood. It shrinks a little as it sets, so you can then fill the final piece with epoxy/ grounds. How good will it look? Depends a lot on how good you are at making the epoxy mix look natural. A real artist will blend sawdust, coffee grounds and other pigments to make something that resembles wood. That's why I stick to just filling knotholes.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

+1 on the layers of grounds and ca. I have fixed a few turnings in this way. Just take your time and make sure each layer is packed nice and tight, I usually flood the area with thin CA. Gary's idea of mixing them sounds like a good one as well. You need the CA to penetrate all of the patch so that you end up with a stabilized patch, any loose stuff and you could have another void. Nice thing about using grounds is the shop will smell good afterwards. :)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

I'd suggest stopping by any coffee shop that does espresso.

They would be more than happy to give you a spent puck (yes, they call them pucks).

Why? They have most of the oils removed and they will be of the finest grind and most consistent you can get.

Jim

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara

West System epoxy does not get brittle. It can be purchased in small containers. The two parts seem to last forever. I have used West System that was 5 years old. It cured fine.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Jim that is a good idea. My machine does the pucks as well. I will have to remember that next time I need to do this. :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great recovery there, Phiillp!!!

Looks great and if it belongs right there.

WTG!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS