Code for running electrical in an unfinished attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Hopefully someone out there can let me know the right way to do this so that it is safe and to code.

I will soon be installing 4 recessed fixtures in my bedroom (one in each corner, 3' from each wall) and will need to run the electrical from my existing switch box. The bedroom is on the 2nd floor with an unfinished attic above (pull-down stairs only). Is it legal to just run the wire on top of the rafters and secure them with wire nails since the attic is unfinished (and never will be) or do I need another method?

Thanks

manfre

New User
Manfre
You could call your electrical inspectors and ask. That guarantees they'll pass whatever you do.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
David when I built our livingroom and ran the eletrical I ran the wiring across the rafters when needed and ran and tacked it with the rafters when needed and all of it passed - like what was already mentioned call your inspection office and they will let you know for sure

Glennbear

Glenn
David when I built our livingroom and ran the eletrical I ran the wiring across the rafters when needed and ran and tacked it with the rafters when needed and all of it passed - like what was already mentioned call your inspection office and they will let you know for sure

Calling your inspector beforehand is best. In my experience it is acceptable to staple along joists and rafters but if the cable goes over floor joists at a right angle a running board is mandated to prevent damage from an errant footstep on the unsupported cable between joists. :wsmile:

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
You can, but new code requires you to place 2x4's along wires on both sides so your wire is in between them!:icon_thum Don't call ur inspections office or u may have a visitor at your front door!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
You can, but new code requires you to place 2x4's along wires on both sides so your wire is in between them!:icon_thum Don't call ur inspections office or u may have a visitor at your front door!

I'm with Dave on this one. Why call for an inspection on this? :dontknow:Staple your Romex to your rafters with cable staples and hook them up. I presume you are proficient at wiring and keeping things legal. Is the job "permitted?" :icon_scra If not, I'd go ahead and wire it up.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Better to have a visitor at your front door now than have an insurance adjuster walking through the rubble of your home and hearing the Fire Marshall say the cause was faulty wiring, only to deny your claim. :BangHead:

In the words of Sheriff Andy Taylor, "Just call the man...." :wink_smil

If you aren't sure about calling an inspector, at least call a competent and trusted electrician. A simple service call to wire an attic is cheap insurance against a burned down house.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Be sure that you don't drive the staples too snug on the wiring in the attic, as the insulation can thin out on hot days.

I'm pretty sure that was the cause of my shop fire.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
If in doubt get an electrician

I always get an electrician when I need to adjust some lines in/out of the power box or when I am in doubt that my skills are up to the task. An electrician put in the five new 220 breakers and lines for the shop, while I put in the outlet boxes, outlets and wired them. All work great. Electrician gets a couple of hours of work, and I save a few bucks. Considering he put in seven circuit breakers, as a couple of the 110V ones had to be changed out, and a couple hundred feet of the wire, the $300 bill was very a win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS