Cock-beading workshop Raleigh January 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi Phil and Dan,

I won't be able to make the workshop after all. My wife has decided to sell her house and won't rest until it is ready to go.

I haven't paid the deposit yet, but am happy to do so if there is not a full class. Let me know.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Jeff

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff Thanks for letting us know. Sorry you can not make it. No need to send any $ we have someone on the wait list

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Class list
1. Donn (DRW)
2. David Turner
3. Richard (graywolf)
4. Michael Mathews
5. Jeremy Scuteri
6. Rich (mrfixit)
7. Charlie Buchanan
8. Jim

OK it looks like we have 8 students and we have a place to work. I would like to lay out the "tentative schedule" of the class so you can plan a few things before arriving.

We begin the day with an example of a drawer front ready to receive the cock-beading. I will demo the process of getting the bead to fit and show the class the tools that I use.

I have built 8 individual scratch stocks and 8 individual miter blocks to get all of the students a start. After the first stage is done, the students can move on to cock-beading 201 and complete a small drawer like the one below.

For the second part of the class, I will provide a drawer face with the pins cut and waiting to be fit to the sides. The back piece will be cut to size but the builder needs to fit the back to the sides.

I will provide enough wood for the project for all to go home with a small drawer like the one in the earlier photo.

Tools to bring along:
A sharp saw
chisels to chop and trim
mallet - won't need a big one.
marking gage to scribe lines
a few clamps - maybe 3-4(wooden clamps with 3" opening will do)
card scraper - optional

Please feel free to PM or post questions here as we approach the date. I know some of you will need to leave early in the morning to get to Raleigh by 9am. If you haven't been to Phil's workshops .. you will eat.

till then

29may2016_169.JPG

1-byrd_cutter_and_drawer_build_028.JPG

1-byrd_cutter_and_drawer_build_027.JPG

1-byrd_cutter_and_drawer_build_038.JPG

1-top_attached_brass_installed_003.JPG

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Class list
[FONT=&amp]1. Donn (DRW) - replied[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2. David Turner[/FONT][FONT=&amp] - replied[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3. Richard (graywolf) [/FONT] - replied
[FONT=&amp]4. Michael Mathews [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]5. Jeremy Scuteri [/FONT]
- replied
[FONT=&amp]6. Rich (mrfixit) [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]7. Charlie Buchanan [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]8. Jim

Please reply that you have read the post # 24 and you don't need for me to bring along something.

Dan[/FONT]

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, I have read your post and I have everything you suggested we bring, I am good to go.

Thanks,
Donn

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,

I have read your post and have everything you listed.

Rich

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Yes, I have read post #24. I do have the following questions/comments:

Tools to bring along:
[FONT=&quot]A sharp saw >>>dovetail saw or some other type?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]chisels to chop and trim >>>>any particular size? 1/4" and 1" ok?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]mallet - won't need a big one. >>>>ok, got this one covered![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]marking gage to scribe lines >>>>check....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a few clamps - maybe 3-4(wooden clamps with 3" opening will do) >>>>check....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]card scraper - optional >>>>and check....

Thanks for putting this together Dan and Phil! Looking forward to a great day![/FONT]

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking forward to the class! I had a few of the same questions as Michael regarding the saw (dovetail or crosscut) and chisel sizes. Also, I assume by wooden clamps you are referring to the wooden screw clamps. I don't have any of these, but I have plenty of the quick release clamps as well c-clamps if those work. Otherwise, I have everything covered.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking forward to the class! I had a few of the same questions as Michael regarding the saw (dovetail or crosscut) and chisel sizes. Also, I assume by wooden clamps you are referring to the wooden screw clamps. I don't have any of these, but I have plenty of the quick release clamps as well c-clamps if those work. Otherwise, I have everything covered.

Thanks,
Jim

If by chance you do not have all the tools required, no worries I have spares - I might actually have too many clamps.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Yes, I have read post #24. I do have the following questions/comments:

Tools to bring along:
[FONT=&amp]A sharp saw >>>dovetail saw or some other type?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]chisels to chop and trim >>>>any particular size? 1/4" and 1" ok?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]mallet - won't need a big one. >>>>ok, got this one covered![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]marking gage to scribe lines >>>>check....[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]a few clamps - maybe 3-4(wooden clamps with 3" opening will do) >>>>check....[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]card scraper - optional >>>>and check....

Thanks for putting this together Dan and Phil! Looking forward to a great day![/FONT]

Sorry for the delay.

Saw - dovetail saw
chisels to chop small pins
chisel to work on the cockbeading- 1/2 - 1"
small spring clamps or a few small wooden clamps

Hope this gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS