CNC Vacuum Table question

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have just purchased a new CNC. The CNC was available with a vacuum table but I have a couple of vacuum pumps that I have used for a veneer press and a vacuum chuck for my lathe so I decided not to get the vacuum table option. Doing more research, It looks like these pumps probably aren't the best for the amount of vacuum needed. My question is: has anyone tried using a 1/4 hp Gast vacuum pump for a CNC vacuum table? iI not what vacuum do you use?

The Gast pump is
  • 1/4 Horsepower
  • Pulls up to 26.5 inHg
  • 4.5 cfm at open
  • 110 volt

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have 2 FEIN Turbo II (or maybe III, can't remember) as my vacuum for CNC. I use for hold down on a 4x8 CNC machine. From my understanding there is a different design in the FEIN brand vs typical ShopVac that allows it to run for long periods without over heating. A regular shopvac can burn up when used as a vacuum for CNC hold down.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
not sure how big your CNC is but i know we used to sell a small 2x4 one and made a home made vacuum board for it that we powered by a shop vac.

basically we gut a groove pattern on it and an edge for a rubber rope around the edges. then put a spoiler (mdf) board on top and it would pull enough vacuum to hold full sheets down enough to machine them.

our cnc guy found the idea on youtube so im sure now 10 years later there would be a ton of those type tutorials out there.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
You could probably use that pump to create a small vacuum puck with a gasket for holding down small items such as a small cutting board. I doubt that pump will have enough power to be used as a hold down for your entire table.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
You could probably use that pump to create a small vacuum puck with a gasket for holding down small items such as a small cutting board. I doubt that pump will have enough power to be used as a hold down for your entire table.
that's what I was afraid of.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have 2 FEIN Turbo II (or maybe III, can't remember) as my vacuum for CNC. I use for hold down on a 4x8 CNC machine. From my understanding there is a different design in the FEIN brand vs typical ShopVac that allows it to run for long periods without over heating. A regular shopvac can burn up when used as a vacuum for CNC hold down.
I've heard of the fein vacuums burning up after a while as well. I have an older Fein that I use for my orbital sander, but I'm not sure it has the extra cooling feature. I'd hate to burn it up.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I've heard of the fein vacuums burning up after a while as well. I have an older Fein that I use for my orbital sander, but I'm not sure it has the extra cooling feature. I'd hate to burn it up.

Anything will burn up sooner or later, I think the Fein have a dual fan setup that makes it more suitable for CNC hold down. Most I've run mine is 3ish hours, but I've heard people say they've run there's 8 hours.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
What is it you need the vacuum for? are you planning on cutting thin, large format sheet goods?
I'll be using the machine for prototyping and building furniture. I'd like to have clamping options for anything that my come up.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'll be using the machine for prototyping and building furniture. I'd like to have clamping options for anything that my come up.
I have a 4x8 Laguna with vacuum. I use mine for the same purpose and much more. I have never had a need for the vacuum. Put down a piece of 3/4 MDF , full size and simply screw down to it. You need a spoil board anyhow, otherwise youre cutting into your machine bed. I could see a POSSIBLE need if you create dedicated fixtures that you want to simply drop on the table and quickly machine parts, but short of that the only other thing would be holding 4 x 8 sheets flat. Will you be doing repetitive work?.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have a 4x8 Laguna with vacuum. I use mine for the same purpose and much more. I have never had a need for the vacuum. Put down a piece of 3/4 MDF , full size and simply screw down to it. You need a spoil board anyhow, otherwise youre cutting into your machine bed. I could see a POSSIBLE need if you create dedicated fixtures that you want to simply drop on the table and quickly machine parts, but short of that the only other thing would be holding 4 x 8 sheets flat. Will you be doing repetitive work?.

Thanks Chris,
as of now, I don't foresee doing lots of repetitive flat parts or lots of sheet goods. I'll hold off on the vacuum until I have a need for it.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Thanks Chris,
as of now, I don't foresee doing lots of repetitive flat parts or lots of sheet goods. I'll hold off on the vacuum until I have a need for it.
Sure, glad to help, workpiece holding can be a challenge sometimes. many times, Ill program my holddown screw holes and spot them with a V bit before running the program. Youll be amazed how fast a screw will destroy a solid carbide cutter that costs $50.....

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Sure, glad to help, workpiece holding can be a challenge sometimes. many times, Ill program my holddown screw holes and spot them with a V bit before running the program. Youll be amazed how fast a screw will destroy a solid carbide cutter that costs $50.....
Been there, done that ... Small things get very expensive when the bits are >$80.

sylthecru

New User
Syl
not sure how big your CNC is but i know we used to sell a small 2x4 one and made a home made vacuum board for it that we powered by a shop vac.

basically we gut a groove pattern on it and an edge for a rubber rope around the edges. then put a spoiler (mdf) board on top and it would pull enough vacuum to hold full sheets down enough to machine them.

our cnc guy found the idea on youtube so im sure now 10 years later there would be a ton of those type tutorials out there.
Do you happen to have the link to the youtube video? I have two gast vacccum pumps that are not being used and it would be great to used them instead of the blue tape an CA glue trick.

gmakra

New User
George
AVID cnc sells a composite nailer made by Omer. Or you can google composite nailers. With that you can nail your wood down with plastic nails. You can cut with the cnc and no damage to the bit or the wood and when you done pry of the wood and break or cut the fastners and you done. The wife has one for her machine and loves it.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i got no idea about the original video. but i did find this one on youtube that is very similar to what i remember.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS