CNC Shark HD4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPACKFAN

New User
JC
Either my search skills are really lacking (and I'm sure someone will point that out), or none of you have posted about owning the CNC Shark HD4. I am hoping to pull the trigger on a CNC router in short order. After researching a ton, it seems that the Shark is the best option under $5k without having to actually build anything. I'd love a shopbot if I could afford it, and it looks like the Laguna IQ is great too, but I have $5k. I need something that fits those parameters out the door, and the Axiom is just on the wrong side of that equation. I already have a PC, several CNC bits, dust collection, and a place to put a machine.

Do any of you own the Shark? They seem to be favored by their owners for the most part, but some do complain about rigidity in some cases. I can't glean from the reviews if that was from older models or if it is an ongoing issue. I'd love to hear experience from any of you if you have any.

Thanks in advance!!

VR/ JC

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
JC,
Since no one here has responded, maybe you could ask someone at Woodcraft for customers willing to talk with you about it.
when I am in this situation, I ask for good and bad references - specifically someone who bought it or was planning to buy it and got something else.

I know the manager here at the woodcraft store in Greenville SC uses a CNC but I am not sure he uses the Shark.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Isnt Shark built right here in Rawlee or Durham? I would make a phone call for a tour and while there hmmmmmm have some green a little talking,mention ncww and maybe some magic may happen. Heck they may have a trade in of a bigger machine in great shape that may just fit into your pocket.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I don’t own a Shark, but I know several owners of Shark and Piranha machines...I haven’t heard of any rigidity problems with either one...both machines are well made, accurate, and easy to use...for my money, I’d plan on using the water cooled spindle because of the reduced noise level and power as opposed to a router motor.

Next Wave Automation, makers of Shark and Pirahana, is located in Ohio...Shopbot is in Durham, NC

I have no interest or relation with the manufacturer...the comments are my sole opinion.

Last edited:

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I'd love a shopbot if I could afford it, and it looks like the Laguna IQ is great too, but I have $5k.

You can pick up a used ShopBot for $5K. SB is great with support even on used machines, and the community is great for support too. I bought mine used and haven't regretted it one second.

NCPACKFAN

New User
JC
Thanks all for the feedback. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the HD4 extended for the increased capacity. I’ll let everyone know what I think when I get it up and running.

DoItWise

New User
Daniel
I am a newer CNC owner (about the last year). I purchased a Baileigh WR-48 to run production items. What I have found is that assuming the machine itself is quality, as you learn how to use it and what you need, you will learn what machine options are best for you.

That being said, I have heard great things about Piranha.

A few other tips:

1) Be sure your spindle has enough power
2) Make sure you can cut what you want on all 3 axis's.
3) Select your CAD/CAM carefully. Make sure it is broadly adopted and can import items like PDF's and other files to do what you want.

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Last edited:

NCPACKFAN

New User
JC
Next Wave Automation just made my decision for me. Beginning May 1st, any HD4 order will come with a rebate for a free 2hp water-cooled spindle. Considering I had it spec’d out with one anyway, that’ll save me $800... and it comes with VCarve Pro, so that’s another $700 I don’t have to spend. I’ll let you know my thoughts once I get it, just in case anyone is interested.

DoItWise

New User
Daniel
Next Wave Automation just made my decision for me. Beginning May 1st, any HD4 order will come with a rebate for a free 2hp water-cooled spindle. Considering I had it spec’d out with one anyway, that’ll save me $800... and it comes with VCarve Pro, so that’s another $700 I don’t have to spend. I’ll let you know my thoughts once I get it, just in case anyone is interested.

VCarve Pro is great. I have that along with BobCAD. Be sure to budget for CAM software. Mach3 is one of the better ones out there. Roughly $125.

Last edited:

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
He won’t need a separate CAM software with the Shark HD4...Vcarve Pro generates the g-code, it’s saved to a jump drive, then the jump drive is plugged into the controller pendant and it’s ready to run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS