CNC - Laser uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
This is a two part question. I've read and seen a lot regarding people having CNCs and lasers but am wonders what specifically people are using them for on this thread. Second part is if a CNC is the best technique to inlay the following logo on the lid of a box that I would make. Sorry about the size, that's the best i know how to do.

X.png

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I use my cnc machine for a variety of projects...you can look in the members gallery at a few of my projects, but I’ve made signs, inlays, boxes, clocks, and lately I’m cutting vinyl for decals with a custom tool holder that I made.

To answer about your design...the inlay can be made on a cnc machine but it would have to be made in stages because of the mix of colors...a laser would probably be the best choiice using colored veneers...you’d just have to be aware of the chance of the edges of the veneers getting charred from the heat of the laser.

Short answer...either can work, and they both have some drawbacks.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the response, Phil. Where does the image of, say the bird in flight, come from? I'm guessing you need a file of some type to control the CNC and if that's the case what type of file? I had already assumed that the X would be in several parts and I would dye the colored parts.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Tom...The bird in flight hummingbird is an inlay...I get a lot of my images off the internet...I search for vector images or images that can be easily converted to vectors...you’ll find that most images on the internet are bitmap images (jpeg), and you’ll need a graphics program that will do the conversion.

Once the files are “vectorized”, then a cut file can be made using a CAM program to generate the necessary code to run the machine.

Sounds complicated, but not so much.

Let me know if I can be more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS