CNC Instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have a bit of an interest in getting into CNC machining.

Does anyone have recommendations on some local instruction, preferably eves or weekends ? I think Wake Tech has day classes only.

I'd rather not drop $1500-4K on a entry-level machine and "try to figure it out myself".

-Mark

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Actually they shut down Wake Tech's program, so that's not even an option anymore. Short of finding someone with a machine willing to teach you (unlikely), you pretty much just need to buy a machine and teach yourself.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Mark,

As a self-taught ShopBot user, here are a few ideas I can offer:

Right now the most popular (and recommended) software is coming from a small British company called Vectric. They offer an entry level package called Cut2D, a more complete package called VCarve Pro, a 3D package called Cut3D and a photo and imaging package called PhotoVCarve. If you go to their website (link below) you will find a good collection of videos and tutorials for their software. If you download the demo versions, and spend some time with videos and tutorials, I think you will see how easy it is to design and program the machines. The demo programs are full versions (but will not allow you to cut anything but the demo designs) and all have a very impressive simulation output which will show you on your computer what the finished project will look like. Their programs also support all the affordable entry level machines as well as homebuilts.

Vectric's website is at www.vectric.com and you will find the training materials under the Support tab. Their forum is also top notch and you will find a lot of new users their asking for and receiving help and guidance.

If your interested, there are a sampling of projects in my gallery all made from the Vectric programs.

Another valuable resource close to you is ShopBot in Durham. They currently make a machine that might be in your price range called the Buddy. Also, they offer a series of training classes starting with a 2 day course for $300. If you purchase a ShopBot you get some of the Vectric programs with it and the training covers the software.

If you are getting into CNC as a hobbyist, I would recommend the self-taught approach. You have time on your side. If you are looking into it as more of a commercial venture, you need to start making money pretty quick and the purchase of a machine like a ShopBot, with their training, is probably the best way to go.

ShopBot's website is www.shopbottools.com

Like Vectric, ShopBot has an excellent forum where people bend over backwards to help the new guy. The response you will see from either forum is similar to the support you can find here.

Bottom line is this - if you already understand the concept of routing wood, feel comfortable with a computer, and are willing to spend some time viewing videos and working through tutorials, you can be making projects within days.

I hope this helped.

Tim

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mark,

Forget Wake Tech, just down the road from you is Johnston Community College. I know that they have CNC classes as well as welding and others, but I don't know if they offer them at night.

http://www.johnstoncc.edu/

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I have a bit of an interest in getting into CNC machining.

Does anyone have recommendations on some local instruction, preferably eves or weekends ? I think Wake Tech has day classes only.

I'd rather not drop $1500-4K on a entry-level machine and "try to figure it out myself".

-Mark

Mark,
I am in the same boat. I can't find anything local. So I am going the self taught route.
Here are my limitations:
-Can't afford a full fledged CNC (greater than $25k for an entry level machine). I did visit ShobBot here in Durham a couple of times, but I think the frame is too light weight amongst other things.
Solution: Build your own. It is not that difficult. I assembled all parts from various sources (ebay, craigslist, automation4less, etc). Machine controler is a pc running Mach3. Basically, the concept is an open look 2.5D, Stepper design capable of processing full sheets (4x8) with an enlarged z-axis.
Mach3 will do some elemetary designs, but I am currently looking at CAD-CAM packages (limited to 2.5D because of cost).

My main sources of instructions are cnczone.com, mechmate.com and http://oneoceankayaks.com/madvac/madvac_index.htm#objectiveanch

Basically I am building similar system that madvac.

My week point is the electronics. Last time i did something like this was about 25 years ago, when I was in school.

There is a series of 3 books that are excellent. The series starts out with the fundamentals of electromics and electrics (drivers, steppers, servos, machine control etc), then moves to the construction, to design and implementation. Problem is it is in German.

Anyway, I you are interested, let's get together.

Cheers,
Bernhard

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Guys - thanks for the suggestions.

In particular, thanks for the heads up on the happenings at Wake Tech - the course catalog doesn't tell you they don't offer the program any more.:no:

Johnson County College eve classes are too far away for me, so I'll have to 'wing it'. :5sigh:

Bernhard, you are way beyond me. I have many simple projects that are still begging for my attention. But I admire your ambition !

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS