CNC endmill sharpening?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Has anyone gotten their CNC router endmills sharpened? Just wondering how they compared to new. I am in Virginia and the closest place to me is in Roanoke for resharpening. They charge $16 per endmill. I pay $40-$50 for a new 1/2" endmill, so $16 isn't a bad deal, if it comes back in near new condition. Is $16 a reasonable fee for those that have gotten tools resharpened?

Thanks

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Resharpened end mills (router bits) should perform as well as new ones as long as the sharpening service maintains the original profile...some services can only sharpen straight flute cutters and not spiral flute cutters...Bits and Bits says they do not sharpen router bits...be aware also that the diameter will be reduced and you will have to make allowances for the difference when cutting.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
be aware also that the diameter will be reduced and you will have to make allowances for the difference when cutting.

This is very accurate, so it depends on what you are using the bit for. Precise 3D carving I'd not use a re-sharpened bit. Cutting out some plywood or maybe a PVC sign where if it's off slightly will never be noticed, sure $16 better than $40 to $50

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're using Jamison's Sharpening Service, you'll not find a better sharpening service anywhere.
What you get back will depend on the condition of the bit when they start. They will tell you what to expect.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS