CNC carved Hickory Coat Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
After purchasing some assorted wood from Roy at great prices (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f64/cheap-kd-lumber-s-maple-fas-hickory-25122/) I thought I'd post a picture of the first project made with one of the pieces of hickory.

The overall size is 50" wide by 9" high and the carved 3D image is approximately 48" x 6" x 0.75" deep. It took about 8 hours total for the 3D image and carved surface texture to be cut on my ShopBot.

The 3D image was purchased from a company called VectorArt3D.

The 3D image was sealed with multiple coats of shellac, then a glaze was applied to bring out the depth. The remainder was finished with shellac, followed by a couple of coats of lacquer.

Tim

Wilderness_Scene_Carved_Coat_Rack.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Freakin' Awesome! :eusa_clap I really like the finish, nice depth, detail~! :eusa_clap

Just one question? Why didn't you stick with all wooden dowels or all brass dowels? The brass to me seems to detract from the image.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Thanks for all the comments! I normally hesitate to post something completely carved by machine out of respect for the real craftspeople present. But since the wood was purchased thanks to a forum message, I made an exception.

Matthew,
The simple answer is that's what I had on hand. And I've hid the mounting holes under two of the brass ones. Next time I'll stick with all wood. I wanted a rustic look and the brass is too refined for that.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS