CNC Bits

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Does anyone have recommendation for brands or places to buy bits? Was thinking of Amana or the Klingspor sets but open to hearing other recommendations.

I have a Seinci LongMill 30x30 with Makita router for the head.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Does anyone have recommendation for brands or places to buy bits? Was thinking of Amana or the Klingspor sets but open to hearing other recommendations.

I have a Seinci LongMill 30x30 with Makita router for the head.

I get 95% of mine from Klingspor and Whiteside (both NC companies) with no issues for years.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Amana, Whiteside, Freud all get good marks, with Amana's Spektra coated seeming to be the top of the heap.

That said, I buy most of my spiral endmills from drillman1 on ebay..all made in USA, most Kyrocera. Others I buy a few Freud, some CMT. I have a motley assortment of random Amazon-sourced brands for specialty, low usage bits and high risk of breakage bits like 20 degree vee bits and ball nose bits from .125" down to 1mm.

-Mark

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I use CNC bits every single day, mostly 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" up spiral cutting hardwood and I've tried them all. Amana is the worst buy for your money. They are expensive and break very easily, and they wear out just as fast as anything else. I believe you are paying for the marketing, not a superior bit.
Lately, I have been buying Align Carbide from Amazon and am impressed with them. They are tough and keep a sharp edge as long as Amana or Whiteside.
Bits from Drillman on Ebay are also very good.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I have been buying from Centurion Tools just outside of Richmond, VA for over 12 years. All their products are produced in house and they have great customer service and fast shipping.

China Woody

New User
John
I've had good luck with the Amana Spektra end mills, but have to be very careful cutting brass with the .065 bit. Generally it works, but it is so small that the slightest aberration in the metal, or other unusual factors, breaks the bit. At $40 per, that gets expensive. I'm looking for a less expensive equivalent from someone else that might not be so traumatic when I break it.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
@Grimmy2016 we use a variety of bits including: Amana, Onsrud, CMT, Whiteside, and some high end Italian compression and insert tooling from an industrial supplier. The Spectra coated bits are good, but I don't typically spring for them. I have found that paying careful attention to your feeds/speeds/chip load, you will get similar life out of any of the good bits everyone already listed.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Take a look at IDC Woodcraft. They supply CNC bits. Can't speak to pricing comparables. I go to this site mainly for their coverage of the Longmill MK2 and supporting podcasts for beginners. My son and I will probably be going the Longmill route so therefor our interest in this site. How do you like your Longmill? What would you do over again and what would you not do?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS