Cloudy Finish over Inlay

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I did an inlay with turquoise small stone ...more like dust. I finished around the cut out area with Minwax clear satin spray can poly. Then I put the turquoise powder in the cut out area inlay...I used small tubes of super glue like you get at Lowes. After filling it in I sanded it down smooth and sprayed the same poly over it. It looks ok but it is sort of cloudy....Guess it is the "Clear Satin"? I sanded it lightly again and it didnt change. I wonder if getting a can of gloss would make any difference? Or maybe just live with it? It was an experiment on a flute and it looks ok buttttttt. Thanks in advance!!

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
When you "sanded it down smooth", what was the final grit of sandpaper you used? Seems to me turquoise, being a stone rather than a wood, would need to be polished rather than smoothed. Maybe going over everything with progressive grits of sandpaper until you get up to 800 or 1000 would put a shiny luster back on the stone. I know it would make the epoxy look shinier.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
It might be the CA glue you used. I've done a lot of CA finishes on pens, and when it gets cloudy its usually one of three things: A) Moisture B) CA has gone bad C) Too much accelerator. Since you're using the small tubes, I can assume that it's not C. I would recommend picking up some good CA like StickFast, Titebond, etc. along with accelerator (get the same brand accelerator).

Wiley's question is a good one if the CA is not the culprit. For CA finishes on pens, you'd progressively polish after sanding. A lot of turners use Micromesh (wet, not dry). I use "Zona Paper" but the process is similar.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Oh boy I have learned some things today.....Well Ill be resanding up through to the fine grits and polishing on up and see what happens....Maybe just have to chalk this up to learning experience...

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I do tons of inlays - it’s my business. I use them and sell them. I have found the best finish for preserving the color is blonde shellac. iIf you need to put another finish over the shellac, it will be fine. Just about anything will go over shellac.
www.inlaybanding.com
Matt guess I could sand/polish and remove enough finish/glue that it might would work out good enough to go with shellac.? I dont think I can get blonde shellac locally like at Lowes....maybe some other kind.I have some kind of shellac in shop.....just some Bullseye I think....This flute is finished with spray on poly...Will attempting this on a spot using the shellac and then spraying the spray on poly work out good you think and not be a splotchy mess lol?? On an adventure with this one... About like " Lost in Space" lol!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, as a turner, I sand through all the grits up to 1,200 using wet/dry paper dipped in DNA and then I switch to Micromesh using it wet with DNA. I haven't done anything with inlays yet but I think you could use the same procedure on flat work.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here is a hint look at granite polishing systems they go to 3000 grit.

Remember WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). That means before ever applying any finish Look over it carefully with magnification (I use 6x) to make make sure you not missing something that may need touching up. I used to repair musical instruments and before lacquering them you had to look them over super carefully, or you ended up with an expensive redo.

Last edited:

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Mike, as a turner, I sand through all the grits up to 1,200 using wet/dry paper dipped in DNA and then I switch to Micromesh using it wet with DNA. I haven't done anything with inlays yet but I think you could use the same procedure on flat work.
Raymond this is a turning also.It is one of my flutes I tried this on.....I have done some fill in sort of turquoise on cracks etc but not a design . Ill give it another go sand thru the grits etc.....Learning experience!

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Matt guess I could sand/polish and remove enough finish/glue that it might would work out good enough to go with shellac.? I dont think I can get blonde shellac locally like at Lowes....maybe some other kind.I have some kind of shellac in shop.....just some Bullseye I think....This flute is finished with spray on poly...Will attempting this on a spot using the shellac and then spraying the spray on poly work out good you think and not be a splotchy mess lol?? On an adventure with this one... About like " Lost in Space" lol!
I am not sure about the Bullseye shellac. The “blonde shellac” I am referring to is shellac flakes mixed with DNA. Mixing the flakes in a small quantity ( I usually do about 4 ounces at a time) Is the way I like to go, but I guess the Bullseye would work. Point is: the shellac is a sealer as well as a finish. It will seal any oils or underlaying Contanaments, and any other finish will go over the shellac without a problem.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Matt thanks for all you help....Ill use the Bullseye I have in shop for now but will pick up some blonde shellac flakes for the future projects!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS