Clothes Dryer Troubleshooting and Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
So our clothes dryer has decided to crap out on us. If I unplugged it/trip the breaker it works for about a half a load time, they something trips and the timer stops, along with the heat. Trip the breaker...and it works like normal :dontknow:

I've taken the back off and as soon as we get done with supper I'm running to Lowes to get a multimeter to check fuses and the heating element.

Any pointers or ideas? (oh yeah, I've already unplugged it so no worries there ;-))

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would definitely focus on the heating element. I had one that did similar and the heating element was bad. There really isn't too much to a dryer other than a motor, fan and the heating element. The disposable part is the heating element. Good luck, I know you can figure it out.
Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That was my first thought, except it'll heat up if I "reset" it. I'm almost out the door to get a multimeter, hopefully that'll eliminate a few things...

sediener

New User
Steve
This probably isn't it but make sure the vent tube isn't plugged up. Might be trying to force air out and can't so trips some safety mechanism as it overheats. The vent on the outside of my house needs to have its no-critter-grate cleaned every few months or it takes hours to dry.

- Steve

RandyJ

New User
Randy
I think Steve might be on the right track...there is a thermal overload switch in dryers that prevents too much heat build-up. If any part of the exhaust vent is blocked the dryer can overheat. I would check the critter cage first but if that appears clear, you could have a blockage in the pipe somewhere even at the back of the dryer itself. Could be a collapsed pipe if flex tubing was used.
HTH,

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This probably isn't it but make sure the vent tube isn't plugged up. Might be trying to force air out and can't so trips some safety mechanism as it overheats. The vent on the outside of my house needs to have its no-critter-grate cleaned every few months or it takes hours to dry.

- Steve

Good thinking ... there is a good chance that is it. I had an issue many years ago with my drier, and it ended up being that the hot air couldn't get out fast enough.

Phillip - To test it, you could just vent it into the room for a load to see how it does. It adds a lot of moisture though (obviously) .... which might not be good.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I think I may have found the problem. First thing I checked, the power coming into the dryer...both hot legs gave me 94v...neutral and one leg 120vs...other leg and neutral...nothing...checked the breaker and it wasn't tripped but it felt funny when I tripped it and then I checked voltages again...240v across the hot legs...looks like I need to run to wally world and grab another plug...since the big blue store closed at 8.

DSC01033.JPG.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, I think that you've found your problem. It looks like the smoke is leaking out of the cord. Now what are you going to do with the $250(or more) you might have spent on a repair visit :eusa_thin

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Wellllll ;-) I'm hoping to find a great deal on a used lathe since I have all of this practice material in my front yard.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That'll do it! The limit switch on a dryer is called a clixon & all dryers have them. It cycles off & on constantly as the heated air passes over it to keep the dryer at the proper temperature. Otherwise the elements would burn all the time & scorch something or melt the PVC flex everyone tries to use - or worse. Keep dryer vents to a minimum on distance & elbows & use rigid metal pipe. Just think of it as a Dust Collector in reverse!:wsmile:

DaveD

New User
Dave
Some closure info for future reference.
Cash's on Old Wake Forest Road (in North Raleigh) is a great place to get parts for dryers, washers, stoves, etc.

Also On my dryer I think there were 3 thermals. One in the heating element box (electric dryer) that's the 'clixon' and then there were 2 others in the outbound air ducts. Both of those were not resettable and were safety devices One was about 180 degree and the other was about 200 or so.

There is usually a wiring diagram somewhere on the dryer cabinet so you can do your own troubleshooting. if you are so inclined (like I am).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS