Closing in lean-to

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
My shop has a lean-to down one side and around the back. I want to close off all or 2/3rds of the back to store a small tractor and other yard tools. You can probably see in the pictures that the lean-to on the side is concreted, but the back is just gravel. I am not planning to insulate the space, I just want to keep out wind and rain, plus have a lockable space.

I can either do hardie plank to match the building or use treated lumber that I would stain to match the 6x6 posts. In either case, what's the best way to "frame" this out? My first thought is a treated 6x6 on the ground between each of the existing posts. Then divide the span in half with a vertical 6x6. That would allow me to use shorter boards to span the gap.

In the images below, the red posts are the existing ones, the blue are those I would add and the green boards are obviously the siding which is overlapping. Is there are better option?

IMG_20160401_122333235.jpgIMG_20160401_122321337_HDR.jpg

stall_frame.pngstall_siding.png

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Hardi plank or other sheet siding probably will need more interim support (16" OC) as well as will need to be lifted off the ground. They do not do well close to the ground because they wick up moisture and trap rain splash back, causing the bottom 1 foot or so to deteriorate quickly. If using the sheet siding, you may want to run at least one course of cement block to set a base plate 2 x 6 on, and then frame the space between the posts with 2 x lumber.

If you do use the sheet siding, make sure you thoroughly seal the bottom edge.

jmtcw

Go

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm curious if closing in this space in makes it subject to building codes, inspections and all that? If so, then code will likely dictate some of what and how you can do this project.

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks Mark!

Robert - I don't see why I couldn't. Just guessing that might increase the cost, but I'll look into it.

Jim - I hope not, but I should check to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the feedback!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If the siding is to be raised grain, look at Smart Siding from LP. Lowes can get it. Half the weight of HP, and a better warranty.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I'm curious if closing in this space in makes it subject to building codes, inspections and all that? If so, then code will likely dictate some of what and how you can do this project.

Judging by the size of the building, it originally did require permits and such, so modifying the structure would likely require permits / inspections. But I've run into that often on small projects the inspection dept doesn't even want to mess with it since they are understaffed and overworked as it is.

Glennbear

Glenn
If the siding is to be raised grain, look at Smart Siding from LP. Lowes can get it. Half the weight of HP, and a better warranty.

My 24x24 shop has LP Smart Siding and it is holding up well. As others have said you just need to keep it up from ground contact, I also added termite shielding under the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS