Clock that runs at 1/4 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Somewhat OT for woodworking, but...

I have Ben Franklin clock for which I need a new movement - electric is okay. A Ben Franklin clock only has one hand and it makes one revolution every four hours. The dial is split into four quadrants with each section representing one hour in time and those sections have 15 minute increments marked. You can tell pretty accurate time with the clock - as long as you know the time within four hours. When Ben Franklin invented the clock he was quoted as saying that if you didn't already know the time within four hours then it shouldn't much matter to you what time it is.

Anyway... the electric movement I had has stopped working and the manufacturer no longer makes the motor. I have posted my search on a few clock repair forums with no luck. I have also written several clock repair/builder societies with no luck. Thought I would throw out the question to this group and see what results I get. I know I could probably gear down a standard clock movement in some way, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

Anyone out there ever heard of this movement? The clock I have was made by a woodworking preacher for my mother and has great sentimental value to me. He has since passed away so I can't ask him for a source.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I can't put a finger on a source here, but a couple of suggestions. There is a clock outfit on the web that sells all sorts of clock parts. It's called Klockit, they may be able to help. There is also a clock store here in Raleigh, they may at least be able to point you in a direction. But I'm sure there are clock shops near where you live too, but I'll pass the number anyway. Classical Clocks (919) 233-0066, ask for John, I am sure he works on Mondays, not sure about other times.

Hope this helps.

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
try S. LaRose here in greensboro. they've got lots of very good stuff. www.slarose.com, i couldn't find anything on the website but maybe if you called them they could put you on the right track.

phillip

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Thanks Clay and Phillip for the responses, but I had already tried both of your suggestions. Klockit didn't have a clue. SLaRose sent me around their sales floor a couple of times trying to find an "old-timer" that might could help. They gave it a spirited tried, but I came back dry.

I guess I'm going to have to try and jury-rig some kind of down-gearing mechanism to get the clock back in service.

HardRock

New User
Gil
There's a clock store/repair shop here in Statesville, I think the guy has been around a long time, may be worth a call. 704-873-6962 "clock world"

jglord

New User
John
I'm not sure if this would work, but you can get a one handed clock from
[size=-1]http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72629.asp, it cost $50 but perhaps you could cannibalize the works.[/size]

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I had seen the clock you found. It makes one revolution every twelve hours. I'm needing one that makes one rev every four hours. But I REALLY appreciate the suggestions I've been getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS