clear finish

bandaideman

New User
Dan
Just was courteous what folks use for a clear finish. I generally use Polyurethane spray but I have at times had trouble with yellowing later. I am looking to us on a flag and don't want yellowing stars. Also want to have to protect a book case. Nothing exciting made of cheap pine, and daughter wants it painted Black outside and red interior, it is a matte paint finish. Thank you for your help

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Are you set up to spray finishes (i.e. HVLP)? Or are you looking for brush/wipe-on/rattle can application?

If HVLP, I think CAB-Acrylic lacquers are recommended, though I have no personal experience with them. If you're looking to brush, water-based poly is a lot less yellow than oil-based and offers good protection.

Last edited:

bandaideman

New User
Dan
Thank you I do not have HVLP available. Have used other method not water based Poly yet but will on these projects Thank you Richard and Zach. Very helpful and quick replies

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If you are 'painting' a bookcase, then be sure to use an enamel paint (harder finish), available in latex. Normal latex 'wall paint' sticks to items left on the shelf (called blocking). Ask at your paint retailer (I use Sherwin WIlliams, but others are good too) and be sure you let them know you are doing a bookcase.
Also if this is knotty pine and you 'don't want' the knots to bleed through (some like that look, I don't), you'll need to prime well, likely an oil based primer like original Kilz. Don't believe SW that their own SW brand oil based primer will block this knot bleed - it has not worked for me in the long term.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
shellac over knots. Water based poly as top coat. I spray Resistane but I believe the OP indicated he lacks HVLP.

Ed D

Ed
Senior User
To expand a bit on what Henry W. said, here is what I do: For painting a wood piece, I use Acrylic enamel. It is water based, so clean up is easy. But in semi gloss and gloss, it dries hard, and needs no added clear base. I use Sherwin Williams, or Behr. Knots need to be primed as indicated by Henry W, and I use Zinnser BullsEye primer/sealer/stain blocker. Lowes carries it, as does home Depot. For the flag, I would use water based poly as suggested by Richard and Zach.
Good luck on your projects!
Ed

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS