Cleaning up water damaged maple furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
There's one thing about used furniture, you get what you pay for. So what I got was some twin bed frames of red maple that has some black stains on the posts(appears to be water damage). Being a brave woodworker I thought I could refinish them and have something nice( and a good woodworking project).
So far I've scraped and sanded off the finish but the black remains. It's lighter now but still there. Tried a little bleach but didn't gain much. Anybody have a better fix?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The black stains may have been from iron dissolved in water (rust). Just a comment for the experts as I have never tried removing such. I do not know if a phosphoric acid based chemical like Lysol toilet bowl cleaner would work without damaging the wood or not. If you try it on a hidden spot, neutralize it with a baking soda solution.

Go

J

jeff...

Bob not sure if the posts are glued in anyway (laminated) but if they aren't you might be able to draw out the stain with acetone. Just beware acetone also is used to soften glue and is a great solvent for dis-assembly. It'll also lighten the wood like bleach, if you can just dab the stain with a small brush soaked in acetone you might have pretty good luck blending it in with the surrounding unstained wood. Clear seal coat and a little pigmented toner in your finish will help hide it too.

Be sure and use Acetone according to the directions on the label - it's some pretty nasty stuff.

Thanks

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Thanks Jeff. The posts aren't laminated so I can try that. Have to get some though, don't keep any around. The water damage is on one bed and I haven't started the second one yet, so I have time before I have to stain and finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS