B4E6EF62-7142-463F-84CB-EB5591FEA9B2.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 2CBC9254-9374-45B7-98D8-5F2C481C9D88.jpeg
    2CBC9254-9374-45B7-98D8-5F2C481C9D88.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 190

PappiJoe

New User
E
I think it cleaned up well. Pretty handle. You did good. Bring it with you in November!
It will be sharpen by then (not by me though) but I’ll bring it. I have a couple more saws I plan to clean between now and then so Ill have 1 or 2 to play with in November.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It looks pretty good but I'm an untrained eye. Did you try Evapo-rust or something else on the metal blade?

PappiJoe

New User
E
It looks pretty good but I'm an untrained eye. Did you try Evapo-rust or something else on the metal blade?
Thanks Jeff. I did not use evapo-rust. I scraped rust off with a disposable blade (avoided etching); then used a maroon 3M pad with Wizards metal polish (avoided etching); then used a fine hand flex sand block (lightly on etching); and finished it all with wax.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Evapo-rust and saw plates not a good idea. Joe did the right thing in his process. The Evapo-rust will leave the metal discolored and polishing it out is next to impossible. So my recommendation is just say no to it and if you want to remove rust without the elbow grease then try electrolysis. I have seen really good results from that process the only down side is the space you have for that type of set up. Me I'll just use a little simple green and elbow grease.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks guys. I misunderstood what he meant by the "etching" but he did say a few times that he "avoided etching". I zoomed in on his pictures and barely could see what I suppose was the "etching" but still can't read it as a Disston saw.

D-8
D-8 Etch

PappiJoe

New User
E
Thanks guys. I misunderstood what he meant by the "etching" but he did say a few times that he "avoided etching". I zoomed in on his pictures and barely could see what I suppose was the "etching" but still can't read it as a Disston saw.

D-8
D-8 Etch
My photographic skills dont help. I tried to same the etching as much as I could. Heres a better picture of the etching.

PappiJoe

New User
E
This is saw cleaning week, heres a 12 TPi Disston Backsaw I completed today.

The plate is 16” long, 4 1/4” high in the front, and 5” high in the back. Not as nice as the D-8 but decent tenon/miter saw.

You see why I need to learn how to sharpen saws @Graywolf ?

I will be finishing a Simonds Blue Ribbon No. 371 handsaw in the near future as well...

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, and that Saw needs its back removed and reinstalled. I'd venture to say that this saw is not a canted saw. That's ok, it can be fixed and is one of the pieces of info I share in this up coming workshop.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
These look great.

This post is inspiring me to try and clean up my father in laws old hand saw. I believe it is a Disston as well.

Do you mind sharing your cleaning method on the handle and it's hardware?

PappiJoe

New User
E
These look great.

This post is inspiring me to try and clean up my father in laws old hand saw. I believe it is a Disston as well.

Do you mind sharing your cleaning method on the handle and it's hardware?

I'll be happy to @DSWalker. For the handle I used a combination of a card scraper, 120, 220, and 320 grit sand paper to clean the original finish off. After that I did 3 different applications of shellac, sanding with 220 and 320 grit as well as thinning the shellac between applications. After the last shellac application, I sand with 220 and 320 grit sand paper, followed by a maroon 3M pad, then the gray 3M pad, and white 3M pad (the white one does the trick). After that I use some briwax to protect it.

Patience is required to wait until each application is dry before sanding for the next one.

Last edited:

PappiJoe

New User
E
Cold gun blue (Perma Blue) will bring out the etch... I've used the technique lots of times with decent success.

@Chris C I got the perma blue today. I was doing some additional research and I cant believe there is no tutorial in youtube on how to use Perma Blue for bringing back the etcing on an old saw...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
@Chris C I got the perma blue today. I was doing some additional research and I cant believe there is no tutorial in youtube on how to use Perma Blue for bringing back the etcing on an old saw...

I don't know how Chris discovered the Perma-Blue for restoring the etching on old tools but it's been around for awhile as a metal treatment

"Cold" bluing is generally a selenium dioxide based compound that colours steel black, or more often a very dark grey. It is a difficult product to apply evenly, offers minimal protection and is generally best used for small fast repair jobs and touch-ups.[citation needed]

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS