Cleaned up and sharpened my only plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I had some time this afternoon so I decided to try some of the techniques I have been reading about on this site. First I flattened the sole of my plane, cleaned up the sides and sharpened the blade on my tormek. And lo and behold, it actually made some pretty good shavings.

DSCF0147.JPG

DSCF0148.JPG

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I still have the old plane my neighbor gave me, I'll take it to my parents this weekend, and try to clean on it a bit. Give me something to do.

Nice work on this plane BTW, you feel like slipping down the hand tool slope?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I don't know about that slippery slope. I might slip and slide but my table saw always catches me and brings me back to my senses. :rotflm:

Mike

woodguy1975

New User
John
Don't worry, that TS will give out some time. He'll be an active Ebayer within the month trying to acquire his fleet. :)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice job Mike. How long did it take to flatten the sole and clean up the sides? Did you use stones or paper?

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Took about 10 min. to clean the sole and sides, I used 80 grit paper and then used 320 grit to smooth and shine. Only took minutes to sharpen and hone the blade on the tormek. I think I need to do some more lapping on the sole though. Still can see some marks that didn't come out during the initial rub.

MIke

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike thanks for the response. I might have to work on mine this weekend to see if I can get the same results.

D L

PS, did you get that article I emailed you this evening? I put a hard copy in the mail this morning in case the file will not open.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Mike thanks for the response. I might have to work on mine this weekend to see if I can get the same results.

D L

PS, did you get that article I emailed you this evening? I put a hard copy in the mail this morning in case the file will not open.

DL,

Got both, thanks.. interesting work trailer that guy had huh. Wonder how much he paid for the graphics.

Mike

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
mshel said:
DL,

Got both, thanks.. interesting work trailer that guy had huh. Wonder how much he paid for the graphics.

Mike

Mike, I am glad the article got there and I hope you find it useful. Those trailer graphics are great advertising idea, but I am clueless as to how much something like that would cost.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS