Classified Ad Policy suggestion add # of days to criteria....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
This was a great point raised by Andrew: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showpost.php?p=330627&postcount=7

Right now, 5 posts lets you place ad's.

Do we want to add a "30 day" membership requirement? Or something like that.

It would be in line with our DQ policy of "frequency of visitation".

Ball parking technically, this is doable using the group promotion system already in place. We can block folks with "New User" status from posting ad's.

Just throwing this out there.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My $0.02 is 90 days. But I'm curmudgeonly like that.

Someone who joins with the express intent to sell stuff then vanish is someone I don't care to give the full benefits of membership to.

Plus, those folks can create more work for us. The "why can't I post my ad" help desk request for example.

I tend to read into things, so if you just joined, haven't even made 5 posts, then you open a help desk request, I'd question their intention to join.

Craigslist is a far better place for them to sell.

But, I have a jaded perspective.

Jim

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I like it, this is not CL, if you open an account with the express intent to sell do it elsewhere. Is there a way that we can allow new users to post "want ads?"

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Do we want to add a "30 day" membership requirement? Or something like that.
I'm not in favor of that. We have the occasional user who joins for the sole purpose of advertising via the Classifieds, and is willing to go through the work of making 5 posts. As far as I know, we've only had 1 or 2 people like that this year.

A stricter policy means fewer deals for our members. It also poses undue hardship on our new members that really plan to contribute. One of our principles is to make new users as welcome as possible, the 30 day wait period may smack of "elitism" too. Besides, there's always the possibility that one of these one-shot deal users may actually stick around after spending some time on the site. I joined NCWW for the strict purpose of finding out whether there were any suppliers of 6" S&D PVC pipe in the area. Kind of hung around since then. Also, we'd have a lot more Help Desk posts from people asking why they can't post a Classified.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we have sell-only users register at a more frequent rate, we can always revise the policy.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I love it!

I like the 'Corporate Member' idea and the alternative Bas perspective!

Two way up to 42 way streets rule!

Jim

I'm not in favor of that. We have the occasional user who joins for the sole purpose of advertising via the Classifieds, and is willing to go through the work of making 5 posts. As far as I know, we've only had 1 or 2 people like that this year.

A stricter policy means fewer deals for our members. It also poses undue hardship on our new members that really plan to contribute. One of our principles is to make new users as welcome as possible, the 30 day wait period may smack of "elitism" too. Besides, there's always the possibility that one of these one-shot deal users may actually stick around after spending some time on the site. I joined North Carolina Woodworker for the strict purpose of finding out whether there were any suppliers of 6" S&D PVC pipe in the area. Kind of hung around since then. Also, we'd have a lot more Help Desk posts from people asking why they can't post a Classified.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If we have sell-only users register at a more frequent rate, we can always revise the policy.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my 2 cents.

A 30 Days waiting period is too long. I could see a week or ten days plus the five post rule. I do not agree with Corp membership being a requirement.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I agree with Bas. This is not a real problem. Who is being hurt? If someone makes 5 posts that is the rule. If they price their items well, someone here may get a deal. This does not happen often nought to warrent a new rule. MTCW

M

McRabbet

I'd agree that we need to leave it as 5 posts before one can post an ad. 30 days is too long and I agree with Bas' comments.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nothing quite like the double edged sword unless its the two sided itch.
Sometimes things just don't seem to fit exactly right, but I can't see why. The more I look the more I see, but still seems I'm missing something.
Just seems odd to me that in a half hour or so - following all the rules, and as far as I can see they did; some one can be selling things on here. And, yes - in the process potentially help out some of our own. A smart motivated seller? Looks like! He may be a great person and indeed may stick around here and become a boon to the site. He said he's moving but I didn't see where to.

Caveat emptor (dangerous of me to try to remember, much less quote Latin). If I were to buy from someone on here that's been around a good while, I'd have little if any hesitation. Guess its a sense of community and trust that builds with time.

I believe that - we do want to make and keep this a welcoming community. We do want to make and keep this a community that is user friendly and encourages people to stick around and participate. We don't want to over-regulate it to the point that we quash the first two points.
Still something about this whole thing and the number of people that noticed it - still speaks to me. I don't mind to wait and see if this type use becomes a problem. Guess I've been burned too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS