Classes?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have been asked to teach at Sawtooth again next year and I'm having to really think about it.
I like the studio there and the lathes are nice, good tools, nice space.
But I like my home shop too and I don't like driving into the City.

So, I'm asking for your opinions.
Price of the class would be about the same. Which means I'll be going up a little starting in January 2023.

(1) If you were going to take one of my lathe classes would you rather do it at Sawtooth with two or three other folks.

(2) Or would you rather take a one on one class specifically tailored to your needs with the instructors full attention.
I have room for one other family member if you like to do things together.

When I teach at home I am more relaxed, better prepared, have all my tools and supplies at hand.
I can prepare lunch, go out, order in, or skip it.
You can bring your own tools for better familiarity, evaluation, sharpening, practice...
I can stay as long as we need within reason, add other instruction, change direction if needed or go back over the skills
until you are fully comfortable with doing it yourself. You can choose to continue the project or make variations at a later date.
Skill building in higher levels can be added.

There is no peer pressure to hurry along or fear of asking questions.
My class at my home is all about you and helping you be a better crafts builder.
You choose the class, you set the pace, you decide when you have enough.

Anyway, that is my thinking and I would like to know what you think.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
It would depend on my skill level with the particular focus of the class. If I was trying to refine an acquired skill a larger class setting would suffice. This allows me to tweak a technique gradually with an instructor available. A new skill, I would prefer 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 so that I have an instructor watching very often to help shape initial technique.
All that being said, people who don't know you from Adam may be hesitant to show up at a strangers workshop.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Sounds like you'd prefer teaching at your own shop - lots of good reasons but the opportunity to pass on a lot more knowledge and tailor the class to the individual are a win/win.

On the flip side, @J_Graham has a good point. Would you be teaching students who already know you (or of you at least)? IMO they probably wouldn't hesitate to sign up, but anyone outside that group probably wouldn't.

And finally, if you teach in your shop is there a liability issue if they get injured? You probably have that base covered, but it's something I'd be concerned about.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
After giving this long and thoughtful consideration I have decided not to teach anymore.

There are many projects that I need to complete and have wanted to start for many years. It is time for me to get serious and concentrate on my own work.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
After giving this long and thoughtful consideration I have decided not to teach anymore.

There are many projects that I need to complete and have wanted to start for many years. It is time for me to get serious and concentrate on my own work.
And this makes me sad. Not that you have lots of projects to complete, but that you have pulled totally away from teaching skills that you know so well to others.

By all means your projects come first, Easily. By far. But please reconsider pulling away from teaching in the future.

And if you do teach again please strive to do it in a format that fits you the best. Sounds like that would be one on one. But make it fit you and your schedule and project load.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I might suggest an open attitude works well. Whereas I used to spend the bulk of my time working and a minority at my hobbies, it is now the reverse - although retired, I still consult on very defined, limited scope opportunities and spend much more time on my hobbies. I now carefully pick the consulting jobs and find that they are actually a refreshing change from the day to day.

So it might work for you - having a youngster (or one of us old guys who need some fine tuning) in your shop every once in a while might be very rewarding.

Another two cents to the piggy bank...

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Mike, I have often heard you say that you would like to pursue or complete a new project or perhaps travel more, but you couldn't because of your Sawtooth commitments. As you are employed fulltime, your spare time is limited; I believe your decision to not accept the Sawtooth offer is a wise one. Of course, this does not close the door on future instructional opportunities when you will have more spare time. Enjoy life!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS