Class Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
Green Mulberry. About 9" wide and 5" high. Mulberry is interesting, it didn't really create much in the way of long peelings. I did some practicing last week on some firewood with gouge technique. I've been having problems with depth control but the practicing helped a lot on this bowl.

mulberrybowlgreen.jpg

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
You're getting there,one of the ways to get better and learn some tricks is by practice.Looks good.
Tony

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey David, that a decent bowl.
Nice looking piece of wood. I've never turned mulberry. How hard is it?
I've turned few pieces, especially green pieces that didn't/wouldn't peel off
in streamers as long as my tools were sharp.
Are you having problems with the depth of your cut or of the bowl itself?
Every piece is practice for me. The only way to improve is to keep make shavings!

crokett

New User
David
It isn't all that hard, not as hard as the walnut from last week. There also isn't really any pronounced grain to it. It was really wet though. This blank is one of 2 I cut from a piece that had been out in the weather. It is also a little smaller than I wanted because of how the larger piece was cut before I got it. I had to turn off more than I thought. The problem I was having was when making a blank round pushing the gouge too far in when turning air and getting beat up when the wood came around to meet the gouge. I pulled random pieces off my firewood pile, put them straight on the lathe and practiced on those last week. It seemed to help with this bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS