Class Bench Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I've been working on another project besides the COD for the last couple days. In some of the other threads I mention I am working on a series of 3 benches for teaching classes with. Monty is working on two of the bases while I worked on one base and the 3 bench tops. I finished up the maple base today and have all the tops in the clamps ready to drum sand when Brandon gets here tomorrow.

I showed you guys the 3D model. It is fun to take a design from a picture on the screen to a real completed peice. All the joinery is M&T that is draw bore dowled with cherry dowels. I used cherry because the apron for this particular bench will be from my figured cherry stock I've been saving back. :)

So... lets see the timeline. I decided to do this on Monday, designed the bench on Tuesday, bought the hard maple and oak (for the bases Monty is doing) on Wednesday, and ordered the pattern makers vises on Wednesday. Not a bad turn around. :)

mapletresselcompete.jpg

BTW, I'm revamping the website. Please take a look and tell me what you think of the new front. I kept all the old stuff the way it is, but will do the new pages like the one I've done for the benches.

http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/index_files/page0005.htm

For some reason the bottom navigation bar isn't working in some browsers, but the site is pretty good besides that. :)

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
very sharp looking bench. I like the cherry dowels, and I can't wait to see this apron you're talking about. Figured cherry is amazing. Website looks great as well, I like the new design. Great job! :eusa_danc

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Great looking benches! :icon_thum They came together really fast too which would be a miracle here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice looking legs John, When you gonna start on mine?:lol:
I like what you've done to your site, it looks much "fresher" with the lighter colored background. The student comment section is a great idea, I'm sure you will have that filled right away.
Dave:)

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
woodguy1975 said:
All the joinery is M&T that is draw bore dowled with cherry dowels.

Very nice bench. Is it for you or some one else? I am wondering what "Draw bore doweled" is. Never heard of that technique. Can you enlighten me on this?

woodguy1975

New User
John
There will be total of 3 benches completed when it is all said and done. They are for my classes I teach. I'm going to use one bench as my semipermanent bench (this particular one will remain in the shop) and the other two will be stowed away during nonclass times in my garage. I don't have that much space to keep 4 work benches in the shop without getting crowded. :D

The draw bore technique is where you drill the mortise, mark the tenon and then offset the hole in the tenon slightly so as you drive the dowel it pulls the joint tight. I'm sure Insomniac will chime in on this as well. :D He is a fan of draw boring. :)

Thanks,

John

Mtnman said:
woodguy1975 said:
All the joinery is M&T that is draw bore dowled with cherry dowels.

Very nice bench. Is it for you or some one else? I am wondering what "Draw bore doweled" is. Never heard of that technique. Can you enlighten me on this?

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
when you insert the dowel, do you need to chamfer the ends so it doesn't get caught, or is the difference between the holes small enough to where it doesn't matter?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
good question, and I forget how it was answered when a similar plan was used in FWW. thanks for bringing it up!

woodguy1975

New User
John
m081779 said:
when you insert the dowel, do you need to chamfer the ends so it doesn't get caught, or is the difference between the holes small enough to where it doesn't matter?

Yeap, I chamfered the end of the dowel so it wouldn't grab. I couldn't imagine inserting them without chamfering. :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
John, those are mighty sturdy look legs. And you accomplish in a coupla days what would be a month's work for me :cool:

Keep up the great work--someday I'll elevate my skills so I can take one of your classes and test out the benches :mrgreen:

Sapwood

woodguy1975

New User
John
Figured Cherry Pics - Don't look if you have health issues

m081779 said:
very sharp looking bench. I like the cherry dowels, and I can't wait to see this apron you're talking about. Figured cherry is amazing. Website looks great as well, I like the new design. Great job! :eusa_danc

Well, here is a pic of cherry I'm using for the apron on this particular bench. The other two benches will get Tiger oak aprons.

figuredcherry.jpg

I'm not liable for any heart attacks or any other shock related health issues. :rolf:

So did I over hype the cherry or what. :) Awsome isn't it!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Brandon showed up and we got the three benchtops all sanded perfectly flat. I've already routed the ends of the top that will be on this base. Boy are these tops heavy. I found out how heavy when one of the roller stands gave way and dropped on my leg. :eusa_doh: I might feel that one in the morning.
BTs&r.jpg

M

McRabbet

Re: Figured Cherry Pics - Don't look if you have health issues

woodguy1975 said:
I'm not liable for any heart attacks or any other shock related health issues. :rolf:

Not over-hyped at all -- it's just that you'll need to keep your First-Aid kit handy 'cause everyone will be mortising their hand or cutting dovetails in their neighbor's hand! :rolf: Beautiful wood!

Rob

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Re: Figured Cherry Pics - Don't look if you have health issues

woodguy1975 said:
Well, here is a pic of cherry I'm using for the apron on this particular bench. The other two benches will get Tiger oak aprons.

figuredcherry.jpg

So did I over hype the cherry or what. :) Awsome isn't it!

Ok, so where is the "Buy It Now" button?:mrgreen: :lol:

Kwel as the youngun's say these days.

Mike

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
wow. that's a sweet piece of wood. And I hope I never say that to another man ever again. :icon_thum

Seriously though, very nice. I didn't even know that Cherry could look like that. Figured Cherry is one thing, that's like "blessed by the hand of God" cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS