CL find; PATTERNMAKER'S WORKBENCH - $1400 Winston-Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Not mine...
I don't know anything about bench values so this may not be a deal, but it sure is an interesting old work bench.
--------------------------
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tls/4028360950.html

00K0K_88UhNqkDobI_600x450.jpg
This bench has 13 draws, one Emmert Patternmaker's Vise bench vises plus end vise for pegged hole work piece holding and top tool tray on its hard maple work surface. Emmert Patternmaker's Vise is damages as seen but vise is still fully functional. The left upper row draw was replaced long before I obtained this bench. All other draws are dovetailed and oak front quality. Approximate weight is 180 lbs. The top maple work surface is removable for easier transport, but it's definitely a two man job. The lower support frame is solid 2x3 mortis / tendon joinery, not warped at all. I believe this bench was made in mid 1880's and is in better condition than most from that time period. ONE OF A KIND OPPORTUNITY TO OWN THIS UNIQUE PIECE !
The Emmert Patternmaker's Vise is by far the most versatile woodworking vise ever made! This wonderful tool used by so many woodworkers and patternmakers. Born in the mind of Joseph F. Emmert in the 1880's, the Emmert patternmaker's vise has become world renowned. Patternmakers, woodworkers and machinists would agree that this Emmert invention is the most versatile work holding device available. The Emmert patternmakers vise has the unique ability to not only hold the work piece but to change positions without releasing it. You merely release a handle and rotate the vise and the work piece. Adjust another handle and flip the work piece onto the bench top still being held by your Emmert. The design worked so well that it has changed little since it was first patented in 1891. Check out this website for more information. http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm

Last edited:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
The vise, depending on condition and model can cost 450 -750. Don't have a clue on the bench. ?Hammacher Schlemmer"

I would love a bench like that!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I had the cash I would buy a bench like that. Look at new ones and you'll see the price is in line as long as there is no damage that would interfere with the use of the bench.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the bench is stable and not at all wobbly - looks to be stout, and the vises work well enough, then I would say that is a fair price. There will be a limited number of buyers at that price so I would try to negotiate some. It can never hurt. Make sure you have room for it and a way to move it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you go to the CL listing, take a close look at pic #2. The vise has a few dings and what looks like a piece chipped out. But in pic #7 it appears to still be fully functional. Given that, I would say it is still in the range of $400-500. That's just for the Emmert vise.

The tail vise also appears to be in very good shape, and quite substantial. Combine the two vises w/ what looks like a well made, solid bench w/ lots of storage, and I'd say it's probably worth $1200-1500. If you priced all the hardware, plus the hard maple it's made of, I'm not sure you could build it for much less than that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill,

That was exactly my thinking based on not touching and feeling it in person. $1200+ to the asking price. I would try to negotiate to the $1200 mark since the number of buyers would be limited at that price, but if I really wanted it, I would spring for the asking price.

Definitely not something you see on the market everyday.

Cheers - Ken.

rickbw

New User
Rick Wize
Went to see the bench and it was in great shape. Emmett vise definitely had some chips (one significant), but fully functional So I bought it!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
That is great!. When you get a chance to look it over, I would be interested if you can figure out who made the bench. Also, if anything indicates that the drawers were added by the owner.

Any history with the sale?

rickbw

New User
Rick Wize
It was for sale by a very nice gentleman who was a retired nurse, now doing woodworking as a hobby and building projects for his family and extended friends (specialized in baby cradles). His grandfather had a similar bench but somehow it had been given away. He found this bench locally and purchased it himself. Not exactly sure why he was selling it. Both vises worked great and the benchtop seemed very flat and not in need of refinishing. I don't pick it up for another week, but once I get to take a better look at it, I will post pictures and what I am able to figure out about its history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS