Citric acid test

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
This is purely a man in the street style test... I just mixed a little CA in a five gallon bucket and dunked the parts.

I used about 1/2 cup... Less than normal just to see what would happen.

Before...

20201205_232511.jpg

After 24 hours.....I used a small wire brush to knock the remnants off. In total it took about 5 minutes to clean it off.

20201206_173514.jpg

20201206_174515.jpg

This is how it came out of the bucket...
20201206_174705.jpg

This is after I took the ROS and shined up the sides a little.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Unbelievable, so much time and work I have wasted.

My wife is happy to know her printing press will be clean and shiny soon.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I should point out that I took the parts out of the CA solution and put them into another bucket and rinsed them with water to remove the solution. Plain water... I'm guessing that's good enough but not 100% certain.

creasman

Jim
User
I've been using electrolysis to remove rust, but may have to give this a try on the next project. Are there any concerns with the acid etching the metal? I assume the solution is too weak to do that unless you left it a really long time.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
I am impressed that the CA etched the initials into the cheek of the plane - how do you make sure they are "your" initials? :p :cool:

Seriously, thanks for posting, I have a #5 body in similar condition and keep putting it off - this would make it easy...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm not terribly worried about it. I guess you could use baking soda or some other agent to neutralize the CA. I just rinse well with water and roll on.

I've been using electrolysis to remove rust, but may have to give this a try on the next project. Are there any concerns with the acid etching the metal? I assume the solution is too weak to do that unless you left it a really long time.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
I did a search and found a few posts about using citric acid and if it is necessary to neutralize it. Most didn't even mention it and the article below says: "You may wish to neutralize with a Baking Soda solution, but this is 1 See Timing notes below for timing issues. rarely necessary."

I know everyone goes bonkers if you mention using Vinegar, and that it supposedly continues to "Eat-away" at the metal... but how would it be different from the citric acid? Logic suggests that if one acid needs to be neutralized, all of them would be...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
EvapoRust works great but it's expensive. Citric acid is much cheaper.
Evapo-Rust is reusable but I don't know how many times a gallon can be reused. It's about $16/gallon and I don't consider that to be expensive per se. You'll have enough citric acid leftover for 100 planes.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
EvapoRust $16x5 gallons= $80

................OR.....................

Citric Acid...5lbs= $15

5lbs=11.25 cups (approx)

$15÷11.25= $1.3333/cup

1/2 cup CA= $.66

5 gallons of CA mix only cost $.66. I like that math better.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS