Circular Saw Problems!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
I have a Dewalt circular saw...got it about 10 years ago. It has worked fine up until recently...a few bumps here and there along the way...but always something I could fix.

Recently I went to use it and found that it will not cut at 90 degrees. I have changed the blade, checked the angle gauge, made sure the foot assembly is sound (or seems to be).

Could it be that I have bent the arbor? I don't see how I could have...the casing isn't cracked or anything. If I have, is it worth fixing or should I just fess up and buy a new saw? I am dumbfounded. :tinysmile_cry_t:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Rod, I am no expert in any way but I would be inclined to think that the "foot" assembly is out of square, not 90 degrees to the blade. That would cause a less than 90 degree cut.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
While I'm not familiar with the features of that specific brand, many times the bevel angle guide slot on a circular saw will hold sawdust and dirt that won't allow the saw to come back square with the foot.
Also, look for a positive stop adjustment on the saw & see if it is off. In any case, if you're trying to make accurate angle cuts with a hand held curcular saw, you need a more reliable measurement device than the 5 degree increments shown on most saws.
A third thing to look for is if the motor housing to foot assembly has somehow been bent. A bent blade arbor would cause a serious wobble (can you say 'dado'?) to the blade but it should still cut square.
If the foot is attached to the angle casting assembly with rivets or screws, you might look into drilling out the rivets & shimming the foot back square.

Rod

New User
Rod
Rod, I am no expert in any way but I would be inclined to think that the "foot" assembly is out of square, not 90 degrees to the blade. That would cause a less than 90 degree cut.

T,
I am getting less than 90 degrees........but don't see how the assembly could come out of square. It's all riveted as far as I can see.
Rod

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
T,
I am getting less than 90 degrees........but don't see how the assembly could come out of square. It's all riveted as far as I can see.
Rod
It wouldn't take much of a drop to bend the foot. I dropped my newest jigsaw on the second cut with it and spent a long time re-squaring the foot assembly.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Rod,

If you get over this way soon bring the saw with you and we will figure out what it needs to square it up.

I'm ready to cut some wood when ever you are.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
First, clean up the saw and plate completely. Then use a drawing triangle or a known 90 degree square, measure the base to the blade angle. If this angle is off, then adjust the foot assembly.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Also, make sure the sole is flat. Many times they will be warped or twisted, especially after dropping, and if bad enough, it can be almost impossible to get a square cut.

Go

J

jeff...

I dropped one and bent the base - I worked on trying to straighten it for a long time but it never did cut square again. It went in the trash and bought a new one now it cuts like a champ :gar-La;

Rod

New User
Rod
I think that, after hearing all of the replies, I am going to give up on the saw. I have cleaned. I have measured. I have banged. I have bent.

So now all I need is some advice on a good circular saw. I hear Milwaukie makes a nice one. Any advice???

Thanks
Rod

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, now you have come to the right place!

You want opinions on buying new tools? Well, sit back and get ready!

I've had and used the heck out of the Milwaukee, no complaints.

But, given I do more woodworking that carpentry type work, in hindsight, I'd have gone with the
Porter-Cable 314 4.5 Amp 4-1/2-Inch Trim Saw.

Happy shopping!

Jim

I think that, after hearing all of the replies, I am going to give up on the saw. I have cleaned. I have measured. I have banged. I have bent.

So now all I need is some advice on a good circular saw. I hear Milwaukie makes a nice one. Any advice???

Thanks
Rod

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think the 7 1/4 porter cable has a DC port. I have the Milwaukee 7 1/4 and it cuts well but has no DC connection. Sometimes I think I would like the DC connection.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors