circular planers

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have two circular planers about 3" in diameter.
My uncle used to be a pattern maker and he used them on a drill press to plane small pieces of wood.
Has anyone ever used one on a router?
I have a 30" x 48" cutting board that needs flattening.
I want to build a frame with sled to carry my router to flatten the board.
This circular planer would be faster. Mine each has three cutters in the circle.
This idea may be too dangerous for a router.
I have never used these planers on anything.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I first used those planers when I apprenticed as a pattern maker...I definitely would NOT use one in a router as they aren't made to spin as fast as a router runs...it could very possibly disintegrate, and the shrapnel would be a killer, literally.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I also know pattern makers that use them and prefer them for certain things. Its essentially a fly cutter intended for wood. Old technology.
30" x 48" is way too large of a scale.
A hand plane and set of winding sticks would be the cheapest, quickest solution.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If a router frame and sled are what you really want to do, there's always Infinity's 2" wide router bit. Not for a lightweight router, I think.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Found this on Infinity's Q&A section

1 megadado a copy.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is what I use on larger wider tables I little different layout but basically the same. But, I use Unistrut it is stiffer + I got it for free from work ;)

If a router frame and sled are what you really want to do, there's always Infinity's 2" wide router bit. Not for a lightweight router, I think.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a 30" x 48" cutting board that needs flattening.
I want to build a frame with sled to carry my router to flatten the board.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Wood Magazine has an article on building a router sled in issue #252, March 2018. Instead of the conveyer brushes they use, I would use a door sweep ( much cheaper) with brush bottom. I have that issue if you would like to borrow it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS