Cigar Ash Tray - Input appreciated

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I am making a cherry cigar ash Tray for a friend. We want to incorporate a Challenge coin into the design.

The coin is 1 3/4" Diameter and is 1/8" thick. It will be flush mounted on top of the corner of the ashtray.

He wants it secure, however removable so he can occasionally swap it out with other coins of the same dimensions.

The original plan was place a small rare earth magnet at bottom of inset to hold coin in place, yet easy to remove. Problem is the coin is not ferrous metal and the magnet idea wont work.

One idea is just place double sided tape and drop coin on top. I have tested this on another piece of wood and it works, however creates a maintenance effort as he would have to get new tape every time he wanted to change the coin.

Looking for other ideas. Want to keep the top of ashtray clean looking if possible.

Please share your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks all, Linc

Attachments

• challenge coin.jpg
    challenge coin.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 114
  • Cherry Cigar Ashtray.jpg
    Cherry Cigar Ashtray.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 112

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Two thoughts -
1) keep original idea of magnet and double side tape an iron disk (i.e., washer) to the Challenge coin.
2) cut the pocket VERY close tolerance to the coin and pressure fit it. Drill a hole through pocket to backside so as to poke a dowel/rod from the backside to remove the coin and not tear up the edge when you want to replace with a different coin.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Two thoughts -
1) keep original idea of magnet and double side tape an iron disk (i.e., washer) to the Challenge coin.
2) cut the pocket VERY close tolerance to the coin and pressure fit it. Drill a hole through pocket to backside so as to poke a dowel/rod from the backside to remove the coin and not tear up the edge when you want to replace with a different coin.
Joe, thanks for the ideas. I think the washer idea can work. Will test. The removal I was thinking maybe if the hole the coin fits into is high in the center where the magnet is and lower around the edges you could push down on edge of coin and teeter it up enough to grab edge. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!!

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
One other thought -
Laminate in the z dimension with a slot just wide enough for the coin and a hinged "clasp" on the side. You'd slide the coin in from one of the sides and close the clasp door. The top opening would be just a smidge under sized from the diameter of the coin to trap it in place. As you can tell, I'm into mechanisms!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors