Ci0 Easy finisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLW

New User
Harold
I guess I have several questions about this tool before I plunk down $139 + for it and I've seen the You Tube video. Has anyone ordered and used this tool, yet? Is it something I shouldn't live without or is it just hype? What kind of finish do you get with it? A better set of golf clubs won't make anyone a better golfer and neither will new tools make me a better turner. Regards to all. Harold:BangHead:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not sure on this one cause I've never used one and don't plan on getting one. I do know that for around 20 bucks you can make 2 oland tools that pretty much do the same thing. some here have them and like them. they use carbide cutters that will hold an edge well but will be hard to sharpen without special grinding wheels. not sure what new replacement cutters cost either. from what I've seen its just a scraper type tool so I doubt it will give any better cut than any scraper and a good gouge will probly leave you with less sanding. YMMV.:gar-Bi

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I have the Ci0 and I like it for what it does for me. I would note that the term "finisher" is a bit misleading. The Ci0 will remove a bunch of wood very quickly and will allow you to sneak up on your interior bowl shape in a hurry. It will do it much quicker than any Oland I have ever used. Now the caveat... the easy finisher has yet to produce a finished, sander ready surface on the five bowls I have used it on. Now granted, I may be making aggressive cuts, but I can't seem to get it to cut end grain smoothly. Thus, I use it to very quickly hollow the interior of my bowls and create the basic shape I need. Then, I switch to a bowl gouge or sharp bowl scraper to finish to the final wall thickness.

So, is that worth the price? Ehh, that's a question each turner will have to answer. Since I am in a semi-production mode, I need the speed. I did note in my original review that the Ci0's price was a bit too high.

MTCW :gar-Bi

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I am pretty lame turner and I always have trouble hollowing bowls. I get nice catches trying to clean up under the lip. I really love the Ci0, it is so much easier to use then a bowl gouge. I've never had a catch and you can really hollow fast. In the first 15 minutes I used it I made goblet that was nicer then anything I had made up till then.
From the website pictures it is hard to see but the tool is so much larger/stronger then any of my other turning tools. It still leaves tear out so I still take light passes with a scraper or shear scrape it and sand. Of course the tips are $15 or so but that really isn't much money compared with all I spend on other tools.

Wes

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I have all three of his tools. I like the Ci0 for the inside of smaller turnings,but when I do larger bowls,I use my bowl gouges,coarse I'm the worlds worst turner,so I ain't blamin the tool,but I can do a better job on my bowls using the shear scraping method with my gouges.I know The Ci0 will do what they say,but not for me.I have Doug Thompson's gouges an love em an they work for me.

Steve Harder

New User
SteveH
While I've practiced a lot with a bowl gouge I've alway had problems when I'm trying to get the last tool marks off the bowl before sanding. I'll attempt a shear scrape and get a good pass, then go again and get a near catch. The inconsistency was always worrisome.

I purchased the Ci0 replacement cutter and made my own handle with 1/2" square rod - a little grinding and just drill and tap a hole. And then I fit that into a homemade steel snake hollowing rig. And I can then cut the finest threads, both on the inside and the outside of the bowl.

The Ci0 just snuggles up to the bowl and wipes out tool marks. Hand held I don't get as good a result.

I use Olands and bowl gouges to get the heavy work done. But the Ci0 in that steel snake gives me a precision for final finishing that I've only dreamed of in the past.

The Ci0 is a tool I would never want to give up.

If you or a friend have the skills you can make your own handle for a couple of bucks and the replacement insert is $20 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS