Chrome plating

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I have an old Silvertone guitar I am restroring. The part that holds the strings was originally chromed and is now totally rusted. Does anyone know a shop that will mess with small plating jobs.Have tried several in SC to no avail. Thanks .

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you can't find a place to do it I would think about making a new piece from stainless steel.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Not answering your question, but I doubt you'd be happy with the finish if your piece is badly rusted. After you remove the rust, it is going to leave imperfections in the surface that will telegraph right through a chrome job, unless you grind down to fresh metal and then polish the surface. A shop is going to charge you a lot for that. With new nickel-plated bridges selling for $50, I don't think you can do much better than that.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an old Silvertone guitar I am restroring. The part that holds the strings was originally chromed and is now totally rusted. Does anyone know a shop that will mess with small plating jobs.Have tried several in SC to no avail. Thanks .
would you consider bright nickel plating?
I have a source...

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Guilford Plating Co
3318 N Church St, Greensboro, NC 27405
(336) 375-4565

As far as I can tell, they are the only plating company in NC. I have had some chrome work done on my old car parts and like some other person said if there is pitting you have to get it polished to get a good job done. They won't spend the time polishing it like you would.

If they won't do it, contact Stewart MacDonald guitar site using google to search.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
would you consider bright nickel plating?
I have a source...
668DCB0E-0209-4693-9CD0-9304E72509C7.jpeg
668DCB0E-0209-4693-9CD0-9304E72509C7.jpeg

Guilford Plating Co
3318 N Church St, Greensboro, NC 27405
(336) 375-4565

As far as I can tell, they are the only plating company in NC. I have had some chrome work done on my old car parts and like some other person said if there is pitting you have to get it polished to get a good job done. They won't spend the time polishing it like you would.

If they won't do it, contact Stewart MacDonald guitar site using google to search.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Unless that Silvertone has some serious value where replating to keep that trapeze tailpiece stock and replating it somehow wouldn't reduce its value to collectors I'd just order a new trapeze tailpiece from stewmac.com. Less than $40 in that style.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a friend in Augusta GA in the plating business but haven't talked to him in a few years. Don't know his business' name but given some time, I could track him down.

Seems like there is a place on US70 towards New Bern NC also. I can check if Greensboro doesn't work out.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on the buy a replacement piece, I'll be honest redoing the piece will cost much more than replacing.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I LOVE this site. Thanks for some super suggestions. Guitar has no real value as a collector piece. Just doing for a friend. I will check with Stewmac. I have derusted enough old tools to know I don’t like the process.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS