Christopher Schwarz to speak to Triangle Woodworkers Association Friday Evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Christopher Schwarz is going to give a presentation on his Dutch tool chest at the Woodworking Shop on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh on Friday at 7 PM. Feel free to join the Triangle Woodworkers Association and our special guest for the evening. Please bring a chair as we may have a shortage.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Argh. Would have loved to hear him speak, great topic too. Of course, first Friday in months that I actually already have plans. Too bad.

But thanks for the heads up Jeff :thumbs_up

was anyone else there tonight it worked out on my trip frpm east nc to charlotte i was pass through raleigh at 6 pm so i delayed my travels to check it out.. getting home after midnight was worth it i think

Rick M

New User
Rick
I was the guy working the laptop. Going in I was a skeptic but open minded and after seeing the tool box and listening to his reasons for choosing one over say a wall cabinet I'm actually thinking about building one. When I moved into my house, my shop wasn't a shop, it was a storage building and even though I've changed it, I've also adapted to it as much as adapt it to me. One thing that rang true is I don't like searching through drawers or moving from place to place to gather tools. I like the Dutch chest more than the English chest because it is simpler and more open although I'd have to make it longer. Don't know if anyone else got a chance to sit on his campaign stool but that thing is a lot more comfortable than expected. If my lathe were a bit longer I would build one.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I sat a few chairs to the right of Rick and just behind some old NCWW friends (Charlie, BobbyG, Amy Dowden) and got a chance to talk to PeteB301 as well. I agree with others that it was a great talk by Chris and during the break, I got a chance to reacquaint with him as we had met at the October 2010 National Mid-West Tool Collectors Association Meeting in Louisville, KY. I sold Chris a #5 Stanley user-grade bench plane during the opening day tailgate session that he told me (last night) he bought for Robert Lang (another well-known author and Arts & Crafts "officianado").

I was at the MWTCA meeting to sell many of the collector- and user-grade planes from the massive collection of my good friend Randy Osborne (Ozzie-x here), who died from a brain tumor in June 2010 (my wife passed away less than 2 weeks later). It was good therapy for me as I was helping the Randy's widow, fulfilling one of his dreams and dealing with my own tragic loss that year. I've included a few pictures of the tailgate session where Chris bought the plane and a picture of the Marsh Plane Collection I brought to the meeting on Randy's behalf. He had designed and built most of this cabinet, but with a colleague's help, finished it and took it to 3 M-WTCA meetings to share with others in his memory. It won two first place awards, including "People's Choice", voted "Best in Show" by the attendees at the meeting. That year, I sold over $6,000 of Randy's shop tools and hand tools from his collection. Here are some pictures from that meeting.

100_6221.jpg

View image in gallery

100_6222.jpg

View image in gallery

100_62271.jpg

View image in gallery

PS -- I am in the Triangle on a week long visit at my daughter's in Apex to be with her and my grandson -- I head back to the mountains on Sunday. When I heard about the TWA meeting, I couldn't pass it up!

I was the guy working the laptop. Going in I was a skeptic but open minded and after seeing the tool box and listening to his reasons for choosing one over say a wall cabinet I'm actually thinking about building one. When I moved into my house, my shop wasn't a shop, it was a storage building and even though I've changed it, I've also adapted to it as much as adapt it to me. One thing that rang true is I don't like searching through drawers or moving from place to place to gather tools. I like the Dutch chest more than the English chest because it is simpler and more open although I'd have to make it longer. Don't know if anyone else got a chance to sit on his campaign stool but that thing is a lot more comfortable than expected. If my lathe were a bit longer I would build one.

you were right in front of me.... I was the scary looking dude behind you that stood up and said he was from Charlotte and found out about this on Ncwoodworker.net..... I was hoping that was the cue for other Ncwoodworking.net people to say hello

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Was good talking to you at meeting Rob. I thought the nite was a good presentation. I lkiked the dutch chest also but probably will stick with my cabinets

Rick M

New User
Rick
I didn't stand up as I used to be a member and club officer of TWA around 10-ish years ago but had to step down after taking a new job. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone there in a decade.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Heard varying comments: really based on their interest on the subject. Very entertaining and informative presentation.
EdDutch chest (inside).jpgChris' dutch tool chest.jpghand forged hinge(s).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS