Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
It's down the home stretch. I have a couple of Christmas Gifts, I am working to finish. Need to put the finishing touches on the names and the drum, but I think I'll make it.

I recently got a scrollsaw, and figured that scrolling names would be great practice. I am getting better at each one. I just had to make some PO Box door banks after seeing some turned out on this site. And finally, who can resist making your sister's kid a drum for Christmas!!!! :gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice work Clay. I really like the names. What thickness are they?? The names really prove that folks should name their kids with short names that they can easily spell and can be efficiently scrolled...like Clay, Dave, Bob, Amy, Ann, Matt...you get the idea.:gar-La;:gar-La;
Did you cut the tongue drum on the scroll saw too? I have always considered that over the jig saw but was concerned that the kerf wouldn't be wide enough to allow free vibration, if the MC changed.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
The thickness of the names are whatever I had readily aviliable in the shop. Anywhere from 3/4 to > 1". I think the thicker ones look better. I did initially scroll out the drum, but went back over it with my jigsaw.... because the kerf wasn't wide enough...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Clay, looks like you are geting the hang of that scroll saw. :icon_thum Sue looks like some great gifts to me...:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Clay on that scroll saw:icon_thum - I like those drums - where did you get your pattern from

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Clay on that scroll saw:icon_thum - I like those drums - where did you get your pattern from

Phillip, the drum plan was in the Oct 2006 issue of WOOD magazine. If you can't find a copy locally PM me and I will around the house.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I've got the original Wood mag plans scanned and can e-mail them to you if you send me your e-mail addy.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
The Plans are in the magazine that Scott quoted. But you can make the tongues any shape or design you want, I made them up this time. Do a google search on tongue drum, and you'll find loads of example. Quite $$$$$ as well. It is recommended to use dense wood. The first one I built, I used Maple for the case, and babinga for the top. That one sounds really really good.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work clay.:icon_thum the beuty of making the tounges to your own design is you dont hafta follow the lines.:gar-La; your sister will be pleased!:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS