Christmas Projects All Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Can't believe that I am on time this year!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap

Have been busy with the Christmas gifts since just before Thanksgiving and finally got ‘em finished and wrapped.

In the family tradition, Rudolf has been standing guard beside our Christmas tree for a few years.

Had some leftover cypress so I put together some brothers to stand the same duty at my daughters homes. (Used a walnut stain with clear shellac to seal and a couple of coats of clear poly.)

100_36801.jpg

One of our daughters wanted Dad to build a small table for her babysitting employer. She wanted a shaker style, small enough for an entry hall and a very dark stain.

I had enough rift sawn red oak from my last run to Scott Smith’s so here is what I came up with.

Tried General Finishes Java gel stain for the first time. I found it to be pretty forgiving to use but very messy – at least for me. I laid down two coats of the java stain followed by 2 coats of clear shellac and four coats of wiping varnish. She wanted dark. Dark she got!

100_39041.jpg

In the past, if I was adding a stain to drawer fronts, I seemed to always have trouble keeping the stain off of the dovetail pins on the sides of the drawer. This time before assembly I stuffed the sockets of the drawer fronts with round pieces of foam insulation, put blue tape on the inside drawer faces, stained the drawer front, finished the drawer bottom and drawer box with clear shellac, then assembled the drawer. Much cleaner looking with this method. (Thanks to Joe Scharle for the tip!:icon_thum)

100_39091.jpg

Have built several end tables, coffee tables for the girls and wanted to see if the finish could be extended so I made them some coaster sets from a recent plan in Wood magazine. (Cherry and ash finished with two coats of clear shellac and a topcoat of clear rattle can lacquer.)

100_3768_00.jpg

100_3774_00.jpg

Next up was a xylophone for our 2 year old grand daughter. Made from a kit sold at Lee Valley and a chunk of a walnut cutoff. (Finished with 3 coats of amber shellac and 5 coats of wiping varnish.)

100_3810.jpg

The back…

(I drilled 3/4" thru holes and added four rubber feet to get it up off of a hard surface. Resonates a little better.)

100_38111.jpg

Turned a Wall Street II pen and finished with CA and Mylands friction polish.

100_37911.jpg

The last of the Xmas projects were a set of razors and brushes from Penn State Industries. Managed to complete them just today. Made from cocobola blanks with 6 coats of CA and three coats of Mylands Friction Polish. (Gotta keep the peach fuzz off of my son-in-laws faces so they don't mar the finish on my beautiful daughters!!)

100_39771.jpg

100_3935.jpg

I did manage a catch on the last brush blank and ended up with an emergency trip to Raleigh Woodcraft today and John Lord looked after exactly the right blank.

So…………..I am all done and ready for the New Year projects.

(Sorry about the bad photography but I am trying to concentrate my efforts in woodworking these days.:gar-La;)

Time to clean up the shop!!!!:wsmile:

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Last edited:
your photography is fine.... whats wrong with it ....

Amazing work...... very motivating.... I like the little table and the coaster sets.... what plans did you use for them

Nelson

Nelson
Senior User
Great looking finished projects Wayne, all of them.:eusa_clap And a week ahead of Christmas-- nice!!!:icon_cheers

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Wayne, you've hit all home runs there :eusa_danc
I'll be picking your brain about that lacquer finish. It looks great :icon_thum

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Wow! You have been busy. Good job on all the projects. You are going to make a lot of people happy this year. :wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy
Wow - great looking projects - and a week before Christmas!! LOML's projects didn't get completed, so I will be busy this week sanding and finishing them. Not sure if I'll get them done either, but at least they will be viewable if not gift-able.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
very nice projects with just enough repetition to be effective without getting old in the process -
well done.......

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
your photography is fine.... whats wrong with it ....

Amazing work...... very motivating.... I like the little table and the coaster sets.... what plans did you use for them

Tat,

The plan for the coaster sets was in the October/2011 issue of Wood Magazine.

As for the table; I came up with the overall rough sizing from a book called Illustrated Cabinet Making by Bill Hylton. This is a great book full of different basic furniture designs and types of joinery, as well as a wealth of other great building principles. (I think it is still in print and available through Amazon.com.)

Thanks a lot for your comments. :wsmile:
Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Awesome projects Wayne, those will be well received!!!

T

toolferone

Nice going! Now sit down and take a load off, you deserve it :eusa_danc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS