Choosing a miter saw and blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles-H

New User
Charles
I need some advice about buying a miter saw and a blade, there are a lot to choose from and I want a quality one that doesn't cost $600. I'm sure some of it depends on what kind of wood I'll be cutting but I'll probably be cutting softwoods and hardwoods for making outdoor furniture, birdhouses etc. When I was looking at the reviews left on some that I found from Lowes and Home Depot, it became apparent that I most likely will have to buy a finer tooth blade (IE: 86,94) so it leaves a cleaner cut on the ends and doesn't splinter the wood. I know it needs to be carbide tipped so that's out of the question but I'm also wondering if I should get a sliding bar to make things easier than flipping a 12" board to cut it all the way through (although it probably won't be a common thing). I also want a single bevel for the angular cuts that I might need to make. I found this one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-Amp-12-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TSS120L/205673791) on Home Depot's website and it seems like a great deal for being $199, but I would probably just need to upgrade the blade. Any advice is appreciated.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
The blade I bought from Klingspor for my miter saw is awesome! It is their name brand. $75.00 bucks I think. Very clean cuts, will definitely buy another.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
the Dewalt for $360 is not a sliding miter saw. That one runs $600.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
This is one of those machines that you have to buy the best you can. Anything that has a moving carriage like a miter saw or radial arm is subject to error and lost settings.

Although I have been pretty satisifed with a few Ryobi cordless tools, on this one I would stay away from their miter saw. I've looked at it and I just don't think its a sturdy machine. You'll get what you pay for. If you don't need extreme accuracy, it will probably do the job.

I would spring and get a slider. In the long run it will be a good investment.

Of course you couldn't go wrong the the DW but here are a couple to consider also:

1. Ridgid It has good reviews. You can buy at HD if you don't like it return it.

2. Hitachi 12" slider. Its just under $400 on Amazon.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Dewalt does have a 12" slider for $370: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS779-Sliding-Compound-Miter/dp/B01ESCU5WS
Note: I don't own it, so I can't speak for that model.

I have a Hitachi non-slider and it works well for me, but if I were to get a new one, I'd go for the slider. I bought mine for doing house projects before I really got into woodworking.

In addition to a blade upgrade, making a zero clearance insert will also help with tearout. John Heisz has a video on how he made one for his hitachi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYo1uq8Qre0

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Without being up front about how much you are willing to spend I will defer on the high end saws and stay in the middle.

If you buy one ... get a slider.
If you plan on taking your saw with you to a job site, skip the 12" stuff. They are too heavy if you don't go to Golds Gym after work.

Buying 12" blades with a 1 inch hole makes them unusable if you have a 10" table saw like most of us.

I have a had a 12" Hitachi slider and a Makita 10" slider in my shop and I use them quite often. I never think of that 85lb beast when I am leaving the shop for a job site.

Lastly, all the sliders with the exception of the Bosch need considerable space behind the saw for the tubes to travel fore and aft. Bosch has the scissors but they don't have them under 600 bucks without some twist of sorts.

All chop saws used for cross cutting work better with a good crosscut blade. Combination blade work OK for framing work and things you do with a square pencil but they don't leave a polished edge that you might need.

My son loves the DeWalt 10" compound saw that tilts both ways. He uses his saw everyday and he doesn't like the handle on my Makita. That's good -- he doesn't ask to use it.

I like the Makita sliding 10" best but the DeWalt 10" is a great saw. I think this might be a pins or tails first kind of deal??

I would avoid the 12" saws. Just me.

good luck

jhancock

New User
Josh
I have been using the hitachi 12" slider for a fewmonths now. You can get them for 391 on amazon . Belt driven, and I have been fairly impressed with it. I also know a furniture maker with a store front that swears by the same saw and loves it. For a cost effective blade, I think diablos are very nice

BThompson

New User
Bill
I own a dewalt 12" miter saw (non-sliding) and have had it for about 20 years. For the work that I do with it mostly being 3/4 inch, I would rather have a 10 inch slider. The extra width capability outweighs the extra height capability for my use. Love the saw though.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dewalt does have a 12" slider for $370: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS779-Sliding-Compound-Miter/dp/B01ESCU5WS
Note: I don't own it, so I can't speak for that model.

The saw on Amazon is last years model, and is being sold through Amazon by CPO Outlets. This is a factory reconditioned saw, with a 3 year warranty. For the money, if I were in need of a miter saw, I would put this one on the short list. It is almost the same as the $600 HD model without the XPS LED for lining up your cuts. Compare the DWS779 and DWS780 and judge for yourself.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't have a miter saw but I've used one for cutting boards to rough length so here's a few thoughts vis a vis 10" or 12", fixed or sliding.

1. How wide are the boards that you typically want to saw with or without miters?

2. How wide if you flip the board up and against the fence. Mitered or a straight 90 degree cut.

3. Can you use your table saw to do just about the same thing?

4. Blades: probably cross cut style with 60-80 tpi and hook angle?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Grab the slider and dont look back. DW makes great miterboxes. I have had mine for the better part of 30 years, trimmed houses, did framing etc etc with mine and it is still going strong. It came out before the sliders and just a compound box, you will never regret it.

Charles-H

New User
Charles
I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. It feels like I need to respond to everyone individually though lol. I've used a lot of power tools in my life, I'm not big on Ryobi either, but for $200 that's a deal that's hard to just pass over. I know that you get what you pay for, that's one of the reasons I figured I'd ask the forum about this and get opinions from people that are actual woodworkers and look at how things cut, how reliable they are etc. My stepdad had a Dewalt single bevel saw without the slider and I thought it was awesome, started right up, makes a smooth cut and didn't really need any maintenance. I'd love to have the Dewalt 12" with the slider that someone posted the link for, even if that's refurbished, if it still has a warranty on it, then saving almost $220 is impossible to pass up. I want one with the 12" blade though because I can see myself using 1X8's pretty frequently and if I've got 20 boards to cut, I'd rather not have to flip it over and try to line it up for the perfect matching cut on the other side. But even the 12" models say under the specs that they cut 6.75" inches straight or at a 45 degree so I would need the slide to make that happen. I know the bigger the saw, the heavier it is, but fortunately I won't be taking this one anywhere besides in and out of the shed. Someone else mentioned the Diablo saw blades and I saw those too when I was looking around, they're expensive but again you get what you pay for and with a 90 day return period offered from Home Depot, it's a pretty safe bet to make, I'm just not sure about how many teeth to get. Tools are tools though and some things are just naturally going to be more expensive. I don't have a problem getting a better one, it just means I'll have to wait longer and that drives me crazy. A miter saw, jig saw and a router (probably with a table) are the only tools I'm looking at getting soon. For now I'm just building simple stuff like birdhouses, end tables and chairs.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Like others have said look at CPO and watch the used market.

I have a 10” compound that I like, but get aggravated every time I have to cut a 1x8 like you mentioned!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I just replaced a 12" Dewalt compound miter saw that I have had for many years with a DWS780 12" sliding miter saw. It is not an inexpensive saw, but it is everything that you could ask for in a miters saw. Dewalt make another 12" sliding miter saw for around $400.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS77...8150591&sr=8-4&keywords=12"+sliding+miter+saw

What I like most about sliding miter saws is that they can cut much wider material than non-sliders. In the construction business, Dewalt is the premier saw. They are durable with plenty of power and they are accurate. Of course you will have to tune of any miters saw if you want really great accuracy, but it is not hard to do.

Pete

I need some advice about buying a miter saw and a blade, there are a lot to choose from and I want a quality one that doesn't cost $600. I'm sure some of it depends on what kind of wood I'll be cutting but I'll probably be cutting softwoods and hardwoods for making outdoor furniture, birdhouses etc. When I was looking at the reviews left on some that I found from Lowes and Home Depot, it became apparent that I most likely will have to buy a finer tooth blade (IE: 86,94) so it leaves a cleaner cut on the ends and doesn't splinter the wood. I know it needs to be carbide tipped so that's out of the question but I'm also wondering if I should get a sliding bar to make things easier than flipping a 12" board to cut it all the way through (although it probably won't be a common thing). I also want a single bevel for the angular cuts that I might need to make. I found this one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-Amp-12-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TSS120L/205673791) on Home Depot's website and it seems like a great deal for being $199, but I would probably just need to upgrade the blade. Any advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS