Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

danw

New User
dan
A while back, many months, I posted a thread asking for chisel recommendations. With many useful responses it made more choices than before I asked. It took a long time to decide and I wanted to use them a while before I revealed my choice so I would have an opinion on them. I have always thought short butt chisels would work well for me. I was right. I went with a vintage set of Stanley everlasting chisels.
I love these chisels. Great steel. Hold an edge. Super comfortable. Definitely the right choice for me. They are perfect for the work that I do.
I also bought a set of wood river butt chisels when they went on sale for grunt work. I like these as well. They are just as comfortable in the hand. They are shorter than the Stanley's, which isn't a bad thing, just different. Steel is ok. They sharpen nicely, but don't hold an edge as long. Which is to be expected. They are a lot lighter, so they feel a little dinky in the hand compared to the Stanley's. Overall, a great chisel on a budget at the $40 sale price.
image.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan looking at the chisels in the photo, I think I had the same model chisel. I didn't have a set of 5 like yours I had one about the size of the one second from the right. I think your set has been well used. Why do I say that? My chisel was as long or longer than your chisel on the far left.

If you use these chisels with a mallet or in this case a hammer is in the design, note the cap attachment design. I had to replace a handle and discovered the socket chisel also had a shaft running thru the center out to the cap. To this day, I don't know if the blow was directly down the metal shaft or if the handle absorbed the shock like most commonly designed socket chisels.

I think Stanley decided to make this series with wooden handles that would not fall out of the sockets when the winter came along and the wood got a little smaller.

My son uses the Stanley now and he's also happy with the steel in his chisel.

Its nice to hear that someone found some old chisels that work well. Its nice to get a bargain but its really nice to get steel that holds an edge when you work them heavily.

enjoy them
Dan also in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS