Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

danw

New User
dan
In the market for a new set of chisels. Any recommendations? Any to stay away from? Likes and dislikes?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My "good ones" are Footprint brand. I have no idea if they are still sold. My "beat on them, use them to scrap glue" are Craftsman. They are too soft to hold an edge.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm really pleased with the Czech steel Narex brand chisels. Have a set of their bevel and mortise chisels.

Here is one good source for them:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

I think Highland also carries them.

They need to be further sharpened when they arrive, but hold an edge well and are easily re-sharpened. Of course you can spend more and get better, but I think these hit a price/performance sweet spot.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A lot of people like the Narex brand. They are fairly inexpensive and seem to hold up pretty well. A good buy.

I have the Stanley Sweetheart set and it is good enough for most everything I do.

If I had lots of money, I would buy everything Blue Spruce makes.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My first set was a cheap set from Sears and they were not worth the cheap metal they were made from. They are ok for framing work with pine, otherwise useless. I purchased a 3/8 inch lie Nielsen, expensive but awesome. I then ran across a set of the Antique Stanley's with the clear blue handles and metal strike plate. I believe they are about 1950's perhaps earlier. I picked up the entire set at a yard sale for $20 and they hold an edge and are comparable to the LN. I never invested in more LN as these are excellent. I have seen these on eBay at reasonable prices.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have a full set of Narex bench chisels up to 1-1/2" and a set mortise chisels (both of which are very good), but my favorite chisels are a set of Marples chisels made well before Irwin bought them. They keep a sharp edge and are very comfortable to use.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Tough to answer without knowing your budget? Assuming a set of five, are you at less than $100, $150, $200, $250, $300, or Blue Spruce? Knowing your range would be very helpful.

No, even I—Mr. compulsive tool buyer—don't have any Blue Spruce chisels, but one of these days... Holy cow they are gorgeous!

K

bwat

New User
Bill
I keep multiple sets dependent on use. Best are Lie-Nielsens, second is Narex. Also have a beater set for damaging uses.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a complete set of freud. and a few other brands. the freud are ok, the older marples are good, newer marples suck, but my 2 cherries are cream of the crop IMHO. they come razor sharp and hold an edge better than any I've ever used.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
For the money, Narex are brilliant. Made cheaply, but not cheaply made. $15 per chisel, I believe. Set of 10, 1/4"-2", $128 at lee valley.

cpw

New User
Charles
For the money, Narex are brilliant. Made cheaply, but not cheaply made. $15 per chisel, I believe. Set of 10, 1/4"-2", $128 at lee valley.

+1. Just be prepared to flatten the backs and sharpen them before the first use. They come reasonably flat and sharp, what I think of as "carpentry standards," but not up to fine woodworking standards.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Going back to your original question about a set of chisels, I have a question of my own? Do you need a set, or would individual chisels serve your needs? I have found that most times a half-inch chisel does most of what I want. You can get a quarter inch chisel to get into narrower spaces. Get a one or two inch chisel for wider paring. I think out of most sets, there will be sizes you would never use. I think Mike is onto something with the Blue Spruce. Get the best you can in sizes you will use. And don't forget yard sales and flea markets to pick up the odd chisel. Those old chisels had some fine steel in them.

Roy G

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have two sets: Marples (Irwin) blue handle which I use for general "chopping" but not joinery. Actually not a horrible set of chisels once you get them in shape.

The other is Narex premium. Several have mentioned them. If you choose Narex, make sure you get the "premiums" I believe there is a big diff in the bevel side height. They did requir more flattening than I expected, but I managed to get most flattened and honed in < 30 minutes, with the exception of the 1" which was a bear to flatten for some reason. Also, the stuff I was using to lube my diamond stones took the writing off, so be careful with that.

I have one 1/2" Stanley socket and personally, I wasn't impressed with the bevel side height. It is also considerable lighter, which may or may not be a factor for you.

One other suggestion is get a couple chisels and hone them to 20-25 degrees and keep for soft woods like pine.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Don't laugh but on a whim I bought a set of Kobalt chisels at Lowes. I got them as "beaters" as I have a set of Sweedish steel ones I bought years ago at a hardware store in rural PA that are just plain sweet and bullet proof.

The Kobalts have surprised me. They take an edge and hold it quite well. They do require some TLC when you bring them home but once the backs are lapped and the first edge established, they work well. Can't remember the $ but I thinking around $30 for 4. Bang for the buck, a good value and I do not say that often about big box stuff.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hone all of my chisels (bevel) and plane irons to 25 degrees. Except for some specialty blades. I find it a good compromise between thickness and sharpness.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
One more Narex owner here. I have a standard (not premium) classic bevel edge set and also a mortising set. Good quality for the price.

I also have an old (1970-1980's) Sears Craftsman set that I bought new. I use these for rough work, removing glue squeeze out, etc. Real workhorses that can take a beating. They get dull quicker than the Narex chisels, but they sharpen up really quickly. I keep a leather strop on the bench when I'm using them and a just few strokes is usually enough to restore the edge.

I've also got a few mostly old vintage chisels from various manufacturers that I've picked up over the years.

If you feel like taking a ride down this way you are welcome to try out any or all of what I have to get a feel for them.

Chisels 001.JPG

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Narex +1. I have both bevel-edge and mortise.

One other thing to consider is that the standard ones sold at Lee Valley come in true Imperial sizes. I believe "premium" ones are only metric....though I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS