Chisel sticker shock !

Status
Not open for further replies.

minddust

New User
barney roberts
After slumming at the local woodworking store and coming away with sticker shock at the price of chisels, I decided to try making a few. I don't have a fancy metal working tools, just bench and hand grinders, belt sander, plasma torch and hand tools.
All material was laying aroun the shop ( total cost is my labor)

The thick blades are of high carbon steel, ( a large circular saw blade ). The three far right blades are about 1/16" thick and flexible (again high carbon steel, 6" band saw blade).
PB090065.JPG

View image in gallery

The handles are varying species... just project drops.

Why so long you may ask. More contol? User has short arms? Scrap material and that is how long it was when started project? Why not? Pick one.

These are the thin flex blades. The material is pitted from rust so poshing was not an option.
PB090067.JPG

View image in gallery

Sharpened and ready to do in a finger!!!
PB090068.JPG

View image in gallery

Next step is to make various radius gouges...

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Nice work! That easily qualifies for a large GLOAT. How did you cut the initial shape of each chisel - plasma torch or did you use a band saw? It may have only cost you your time, but from the looks of those tools it took quite a bit of time.

nelsone

New User
Ed
They look great! How did you harden the steel and how do they hold an edge! You may be able to go into business!

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Wow! Nice job! Someday I'd like to try my hand at making some of my own tools. I've considered knives, planes, etc., but for some reason never considered chisels. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris

minddust

New User
barney roberts
To reply to some of you questions...
Cut out was with a plasma, it is fast cutting and thus imparts little heat but does produce extreem hot flame. It does not even discolor the steel. Grinding imparts the heat.
After grinding sides, tang, and rough grind of cutting tip, I used a rose bud torch and a oil bath for the cutting tips. Then using the torch I tempered to reduce the brittleness of the tip. Final tip sharpening was with (water cooling) plus a 120 belt sander ( being careful not to burn the tip) , diamond stones and leather power strop. The leather power strop is a old 6" belt sander with a 4" leather belt that I made up and a green stone. It produces a mirror finish that is "very" sharp.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job! Love those homemade tools :)

So the tips are hardened. Which makes sense to me. I always ask "but why".....

I too, look at the high dollar chisels that are fully treated and wonder why? When you only need the equivalent of a Japanese laminated blade to do the real work.

As I recently learned, the addition of chromium/vanadium allows for heat treating of the full thickness of a blade, yet I kept asking "why". For that matter, I still don't understand why we don't see case hardened chisels and plane irons.

Why why why why? I must have been a nightmare of irritation as a toddler :)

Congrats on a great job!

Whats next on your to-make list?

Jim

ebrant

New User
Ed
Case hardening is very hard and very shallow, usually in the .030" to .060" range. It is fairly easy to grind your way all the way into the substrate.:gar-Cr

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, those came out great. I must say, I'm very impressed with people who can make their own tools. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors