Chisel sharpener

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I decided to make a sharpener like one I once saw. So I made this during commercials while watching TV. It actually works ok. I really need it for setting the angle correctly when a chisel needs rework. Anyway, all from junk I have in the shop. Epoxy'd the threads so they do not move. I have a box of those couplings I got from the Restore for 2.50, just couldn't let that deal pass me by. Anyway, thought I would share my latest Rube Goldberg invention

Attachments

• sharpener (1).jpg
    sharpener (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • sharpener (2).jpg
    sharpener (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
  • sharpener (3).jpg
    sharpener (3).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
I have one of the cheapo honing guides like Chris linked (Got mine off Amazon). However I have been trying to practice to do all my regular sharpening by hand. If I need to repair an edge then I'll use a guide, but normal 'in-between' sharpenings just go free hand. It takes just as long to set the angle of the guide as it does to hit the fine stone then strop. Plane irons I use a micro bevel so free hand works well there too.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have one of those, but where is the fun in that ? besides, those side clamp one often does not grab and hold perfectly flat. So you can get a chisel face that is not perfectly 90 deg.

Had one of these for years, its always worked pretty well

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Worksharp, Worksharp, Worksharp. Works every time. Through all my years of woodworking I have always had trouble with sharpening. I purchased a Worksharp a couple of years ago it has solved most of my problems. My other tool is a 1/2 in. piece of float glass and sandpaper. For that I have the Lee Valley blade holder system.

Pop

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have one of those, but where is the fun in that ? besides, those side clamp one often does not grab and hold perfectly flat. So you can get a chisel face that is not perfectly 90 deg.
There are you tubes showing how to fix that guide so it works as intended.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The real advantage in Oka's design is that a parallel guide (what he made, like the Veritas Mk.II) typically does not work well with tapered chisels, but with the "floating bar" I am guessing there is enough slop in the holes to adjust to the angle and hold the taper properly...

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Never had that problem, And how do you square yours?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
More on small chisels Do not have much feeling in my right hand so easy to rock it if not super careful, that comes with impatience which I have.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS