Chisel Bite... Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Well, Saturday night, I was working on a small desk for my oldest daughter. Things were going pretty well. I was working on a side panel stile, squaring up the corner. Of course it was on the last stile. For various reasons, probably including a momentary laps of reason, the work piece moved any my finger was the next thing to land on...:nah: When I looked down, I had a growing red smiley face on my finger.

I've bit myself with a chisel before, but this one was a bit more than I thought a Band-Aid would handle. As I walked into the house with my finger in my mouth, I mumbled to my wife, "Get the First-Aid Kit!" She knew something was up. :no:

The short version is that I put direct pressure on it and spent the next 30 minutes driving around to find the closest OPEN Urgent Care faciilty. When we got there (and spend the next 15 minutes filling out paperwork), I got three stiches and they sent me on my way.

Moral of the story, "Know the location and hours of your local Urgent Care facilities!"

Oh yeah, properly secure your workpiece and your finger is not a viable work surface in most situation. :nah:

After all that, all is well. I will live to make sawdust again. Probably tonight! :icon_cheers

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Glad your ok :smile: Seems us WWers are always drawing blood somehow or another. When I had lumber runs we used to share shop scars :gar-La;

While using the drill press I recently got my thumb in between a forstner bit and a piece of wood. I cut my thumb nail to within a 32nd of an inch down to the quick. I wrapped in a bandaid with some of that triple antibacterial goo and went back to the shop to make some more sawdust fly. It stopped bleeding after a couple of days and stopped hurting a few weeks later. It's grown out a little more than 1/2 way since then, the bottom 1/2 looks good so I think it'll be ok when it fully grows out.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Crazy glue. Stings like a son of a gun but works. Had a knifemaker use this on me one day when I had an oops in his shop.

Just a thought.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
The PA who stitched me up suggested the medial equivilent of Crazy Glue when I first got there. I asked her if I should just keep a tube of drug store crazy glue around... of course she said, "Oh no, this is different!"

Makes you wonder though...

Standard disclaimer, "I am NOT a doctor, nor do I play one on TV or anywhere else!"

bitbight

New User
Ray
Crazy Glue, nearly all the medics in Vietnam carried a tube in their aid bag. It saved many body parts and probably a few souls when the medics had to close a wound, or stop something from bleeding out. Kept you together until the "Dust Off" MedEvac got you to a field hospital where they could fix you up properly. Good stuff.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Marvin sorry you got bit. Nothing I can think of is worse than going to the ER/Doc in a Box on a Saturday night.
This stuff works better than CA:
http://www.woundseal.com/
It cauterizes the cut and forms an instant scab. My wife and I have received cuts within the past few years we could not get to stop bleeding with pressure point application. I'm an ex-Army Medic and this works much faster and completely seals off the injury.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I feel your pain, literally. Luckily, when it happened to me, the closest Urgent Care was open.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Tom, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I like you dog. The picture reminds me of our 13 year old 13" beagle, Laney.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I got myself last year as well. But I was too dumb to go to urgent care. I went to the emergency room. Hours later I emerged with a couple stitches and a lighter wallet.
Heal fast!
Salem

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
The PA who stitched me up suggested the medial equivilent of Crazy Glue when I first got there. I asked her if I should just keep a tube of drug store crazy glue around... of course she said, "Oh no, this is different!"

Makes you wonder though...

Standard disclaimer, "I am NOT a doctor, nor do I play one on TV or anywhere else!"

The major difference is that medical has been approved by the FDA and cost you 45.00 per tube. I use the 1.25 tube for most of my major cuts stimgs like the red stuff of the old days.:gar-Bi

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Been there/done that. I did the same thing late one Friday evening, when a chisel slipped off a tenon that was being trimmed. In the path of the chisel was my middle/insult finger on the left hand. Got to spend some quality time with the emergency personnel at Pitt Memorial Hospital getting some stitches (7) and a Tetanus booster.
Usual story: long day, late in the evening, and trying to finish one last thing before closing up shop for the day. Kind of funny: I have only been bitten by hand tools, not power tools.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Mike, your story sounds quite familar. Oh yeah... that was about my Saturday.

Kind of funny: I have only been bitten by hand tools, not power tools.

BTW, I have heard this same thing from a lot of people. I guess that's a good thing. :wrolleyes:

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Just in case anyone doubted it happened... (didn't happen if you don't have a pic :wink_smil)

IMG_01415.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS