Chip separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougW

New User
Doug w
As a lot a people are right now, I am building a dust collection system for my shop. It consists of a 5-hp grizzly dust collector. Today, I set out to build a chip separator for my planer. I had heard that the Thein separator was a good one to try to model, so I went online and found pictures of the design. I had been holding on to a dust collection ring from a 2-hp harbor freight system and decided to try to incorporate it into the design of my own separator. I also had a 35-gallon plastic drum. I took the ring and was playing around with some ideas on how to use it and noticed that it was a perfect fit inside the lid of the drum. My wheels immediately started turning! The thein idea had the baffles inside of the tub but mine had the baffles on top of the tub, allowing for a higher chip capacity. I glued the ring down to the lid using pl-375 and installed the thein baffle on the bottom of the ring. I put a top on the ring with a 6-inch outlet. The velocity is kept high due to the 5-inch inlet to the planer. To my surprise, this system worked above and beyond my expectations. I tried it out by planing a 2x4 piece of wood down to nothing (I think it was about 1/8 inch thick, when I was done!). Has anyone else done one of these systems using a dust collector ring? I'm curious to hear anyone else's feedback.

Doug

IMG00129-20110220-2136.jpg

View image in gallery

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doug, very cool idea!

Aren't those dust collection rings available as replacement parts from Grizzly for about 20 bucks? If so, that would be a great way to build a pre-separator.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I didn't use a dust collector ring, but made mine as a top hat to keep from losing can capacity. Worked great. It's posted here at NC woodworker. Title of post is "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle." (Stupid me can't remember how to do a link. You can always google it). It looks like you enlarged the drop area from 1.125" to closer to 2.0". Did you?

DougW

New User
Doug w
I didn't use a dust collector ring, but made mine as a top hat to keep from losing can capacity. Worked great. It's posted here at NC woodworker. Title of post is "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle." (Stupid me can't remember how to do a link. You can always google it). It looks like you enlarged the drop area from 1.125" to closer to 2.0". Did you?

Yes I enlarged the drop area to 1.750" since his baffle was for a shop vac.

Thanks, Charlie and Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS