Child proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
After I apply a couple coats of Acrylic craft paint what would be a good safe clear coat to protect it and also be safe for a two year old

J

jeff...

humm response to little ones safety requires much research, perhaps product Material Safety Data Sheets may help you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Any finish once fully cured is safe for children. But you can't go wrong with shellac. It is used to coat children's candy and pharmaceuticals for human consumption.
Polyacrylic by General Finishes is another good selection. Not so much for it's 100% safety but that it won't change the color of the work you've already done. But again once fully cured it's totally non-toxic.

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Any finish once fully cured is safe for children. But you can't go wrong with shellac. It is used to coat children's candy and pharmaceuticals for human consumption.
Polyacrylic by General Finishes is another good selection. Not so much for it's 100% safety but that it won't change the color of the work you've already done. But again once fully cured it's totally non-toxic.

Dave:)

Dave, are you saying that Shellac will change the color

erasmussen

New User
RAS
A slight tint depending on how thick it is applied

bullseye.gif

is an alcohol-based solution of lac, a natural resin imported mainly from India, that is available in Clear and Amber tones. Clear shellac dries transparent with a faint, golden cast that is much lighter than oil-base varnishes, while amber shellac has a warm, orange cast that gives a rich, antique-look to woodwork. Bulls Eye Shellac has many advantages over other clear finishes: it's easy to use, dries quickly, is non-toxic when dry and cleans up easily with ammonia and water.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Earl, I will see if I can find that here in Lexington - I am not familiar with that name brand

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks Earl, I will see if I can find that here in Lexington - I am not familiar with that name brand

Phillip, go to Laniers. If they ain't got it, it can't be had:rotflm:. My mother works there and they can get anything.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You can get it at Lowe's.

As Dave said, any cured finish is safe. "Safe" doesn't mean go eat the entire crib, but some extended gnawing won't be a problem. The only finish to avoid is leaded paint of course...

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Zinsser is the only manufacturer of pre-mixed shellac in the US.

If you use the amber shellac, it will impart a noticeable amber or yellow cast to the colors you have already applied. Even the clear has a slight amber cast.

As was already suggested, an acrylic clear coat is the best option to overcoat an acrylic paint. It is water clear and totally compatible with the acrylic colors. Something like Minwax Polycrylic, which is available in a spray can, would be a good choice.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We've used the Polyacrylic by General Finishes on quite a bit of stuff we've made and like it a lot. It applies easily, you can build up coats pretty quickly and it holds up well to our kids, and adult, abuse. Both WC and Klingspor usually have it in stock.

Brian.

J

jeff...

You can get it at Lowe's.

As Dave said, any cured finish is safe. "Safe" doesn't mean go eat the entire crib, but some extended gnawing won't be a problem. The only finish to avoid is leaded paint of course...

Is that considered a high fiber diet :icon_scra Lord know I've eat and snorted my share of wood :gar-La;

JOAT

New User
Theo
Bullseye Shellac is pre-mixed. Which means it has a shelf life. In a few cases I've heard of the shelf life expiring before it was sold. I don't use shellac at present, been a long time since I have. If I wanted to use a bit, I'd have no problems with buying a amll can of Bullseye. But if I were going to use shellac on a regular basis I'd buy flakes, on-line, and prepare it myself.

Right now, for my banks, my usual finish is a coat or three of thinned Titebond II. That seems to be working well. I'm not sure where I ame up with using that, but checked with the Franklin 1-800 # and asked how they thought it would work out. They seem to think it will work, at least they told me that they know of wood carvers who coat outdoor pieces with several coats of Titebone, and apparently no problems. Check back with me in a hundred years or so.

Oh yeah, I don't notice any tint with 2-3 coats of the thinned Titebond, but if you keep putting coats on it will eventually take on a yellowish or amber hue. Unthinned Titebond will get the hue much faster.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks guys for all of the info - I picked up some BullsEye clear shellac in a rattle can today and I will try it - If I don't like it the next one will have the Polycrylic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors