Chestnut logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
I have about 20 old Chestnut logs left over from assembling an old cabin on the farm (Lee County). I would like to sell the logs after re-sawing them.

They are weathered so they will have to be shaved so to speak to get the undesirable material off. The remainder will be about 8"x10" and 20' long.

Does anyone have a good idea of what they are worth? Who would re-saw them? Who would want them?

This material is way better than my skills as a woodworker. I may keep some for myself, but the potential for $ is also a driving force.

John (The capitalist)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

We do have a couple of sawyers / mill operators in the group. I'd bet for some of the harvest, a no cash deal could be developed

Ray

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
If they are on the ground they may not be usable if they have been laying about any period of time. If you have a digital photo that would be great.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
They have been stacked up log cabin style so only two are on the ground. I do not have a picture. As they are about an hours drive from me I may be a few days before I can get one.

I did take one of the rafter pieces and cut it into. There is good wood in the logs but weathered wood on the outside.

Most of the logs are actually 10" to 14" hand hewned but too weathered to use as they are.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
I must admit that I am a bit upset that they were taken care of so poorly for the last 20 years or so. A simple cover to keep them out of the sun would have made a big difference.

At any rate, are you interested in working with them?

John

J

jeff...

I'd like to take a crack at those chestnut logs, but your way to far away from me - dang :-x

As far as what their worth, you'll have to see what kind of boards fall out of the logs. Could be some good stuff or not so good stuff. A few pics and small end dia measurements may help you get an idea of what your looking at.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
There is a customer of mine in the Atlanta area that may be interested. If you like send me an email and I can put you in touch with him directly.

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
Next week I will take pics, measure and count. Then we will have something closer to the facts.

Thanks for your help!

John

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
Mark,

I grew up in Sanford. I do not know how much money we are talking about. Other than the description that have already given, I will get some pics and measurements next week. The logs are about 16 ft long. I have a 2500 series pick up in Sanford on the farm so I would have to cut the logs and make a few trips to get them to you unless you have a way to move them without cutting them. The logs are out NC 42 a few miles from Sanford behind the house of a fellow that use to do a lot of landscaping for us. I will gladly take you to see them.

BTW, I have just put a load of 1x4 Russian pine with Archie Brooks, close to you. He will run it to flooring for us as soon as he gets up and running. I have been trying to give him a hand since his fire in December.

Cell 919 xxx-xxxx John -- I'd suggest you sent Mark a PM so the world doesn't get your cell number -- Rob

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
John,
I do a small amount of milling for my own use. Those would fit well within my ability to plane them down. Most of what I have worked with is from wood cut with a chainsaw mill - if they are a little rough or warped, that is easy to fix with the planer, though resawing is more effecient.

I do know that old growth Chestnut is not easy to come by - since you have had these so long, I am sure they probably qualify as such. I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a buyer for them. Worm and insect holes add to the value, as long as the wood has'nt gone punky on you.

Guessing you want to move the whole load at once and that would be out of my range,,,,
- just save me some sawdust to sniff :eusa_booh

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
David,

I showed them to Mark Anderson yesterday and took some pics. I will post the pics and let you know.

They are 200 years old but have had poor care for the last 20 to 30 years.

J

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
200 years old, huh. Do you accept first-borns as payment??? Sounds like quite a find. Even if there are a few of them that nobody is interested in, I would like to see if I can make anything with them.

Thanks for the update, and I will look for the pics.

David

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I do have a guy that would be willing to buy them in Atlanta. He does high end stuff for Neiman Marcus. If you are still interested in selling them send me an email with pictures and I will forward to my customer to contact you directly and y'all can talk price.

J

jeff...

I still would like to get a few of them on my wood mizer, open em up and see what we find. Heck we could make a sawyer party out of it. Would be cool to get David and Kyle together over a couple saw logs... :-D. I have a tandem axle trailer, maybe we could load a few of them up and swing by Kyle's. It would be worth my time and gas to meet you guys in person. If there's a way to load em on my LT40 manual, I could bring that instead of the trailer. let me know what you guys think. I'm real interested in seeing a few pics and what condition the logs are in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS