Chest of Many Drawers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
What's up with the Chest and Charlie's Vase?

How about an update as to where they are and what is being done to get them them sold.

pete

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for asking. I have been trying to sell both but all I have gotten is a lot of wows and That will sell quick - but no return calls. I have at least 150 color brochures out but still nothing.

The vase has travelled to two Raleigh art galleries with a price tag of $2000, which I continue to think is right. As of today the vase is back in my shop and the current plan is to take it to the Klingspor gallery where the chest is.

The chest has been shown to almost every art gallery in Raleigh and several of the top interior decorators. I have also taken the brochure to WRAL hoping they would want to do a local story - they seemed interested but no call back

I am open to all suggestions on how to sell these two pieces and really think we need to team up on this - it is sort of clear my salesmanship is lacking

phil

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We should have more formal news soon, but here are the basics.

The Chest is at the WONC Gallery inside the Klingspor Store in Raleigh. Priced at $12,500. I'm going there sometime this weekend to check on it, make sure the price is on it and re-hide the two hidden drawers that got dislodged in transit. (ah, didn't know about the hidden drawers, guess I'm giving away the secret.) If you go there please don't disassemble the chest looking for them.

The vase is at another gallery in downtown Raleigh that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It will likely be moved the WONC Gallery soon anyway as we've had no serious interest at the other venue. It has a $2000 price tag on it currently.

All prices are negotiable. We are investigating other galleries and currently have some good leads in the Asheville area.

I'm about to send out an update to the 50 or so people that left their email addresses at the extravaganza as being interested in the two items.

We had originally planned to auction the items off, but have yet to find a suitable auction venue for these type of items. So we decided to get them visibility at various Galleries or Museums or Folk Art sites around the state.

We've also been trying to find corporate interest from NC State Enterprises. Along those lines we've been in contact with several Interior Designers that work with local corporations and have had a lot of interest but nothing firm yet.

That is the summary of the quest. A lot of interest and nobody is really balking at the price, we've just had no firm offers or commitments at this time.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the speedy reply's :)

It seems to me that a number of major decisions are being made by the Board (or whoever) without consulting the membership or keeping the membership up to date on what's going on. Another example is the Outreach Trailer. That was a large investment of club money that, in my opinion, should have been discussed with the members before going out and buying the trailer and equipment. Now that we have it; what are the plans for 2014. What was the result of the demos done in 2013? What did the club and the attendees gain from the demos? Was it worth the investment? Then there's the "Good Will Lathe". Where's that? Have any of the prior recipients continued turning.

I know all the above was done in good faith. It's just that the membership should have input to the decision making process and be kept up to date on progress and results.

Please don't that this as an attack on the board, the club or any individual. It's just my opinion that we should be kept in the loop on major decisions and their outcome.

pete

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The current board has been very forthcoming with their deliberations and we've been publishing the minutes of all meetings held since I've been the secretary. These can be found in the Corporate members forum. There was a meeting held this Thursday at lunch with most of the Board present. I haven't had time to compile the minutes of that meeting but will in due time.

I cannot speak for the previous Boards but the current Board has tried to make the goings on of the Board Meetings very open and, forgive the pun, above board.

The results of the Outreach Program are very visible in the Outreach Forum and in the Galleries documenting the various Outreach Events. If you've never attended one or not volunteered to help out in your area you are truly missing out. This is one of the most rewarding events that I've participated in in my entire lifetime.

If you've never seen the thanks from the wounded warriors who've had a chance to build something however simple to take home to their children or loved ones, you've led a sheltered life. The youth Outreach program is just as rewarding. The smiles that they take with them are very contagious. The firemen and other first responders we've worked with are just as appreciative to have a break from routine and make something for their station or their families. Truly tremendous to see the feeling of accomplishment on people's faces.

There are certain things we don't announce right away that we are considering, but that is because we want to work out details prior to making announcements. There is something we feel very strongly about in the works but we'll wait until the details are more worked out to make any announcements.

Please feel free to ask us anything about what is going on at any time. We have also been publishing the basic financial statements regularly in the corporate forum in an effort to keep a more open flow of information.

wayne

New User
wayne
We should have more formal news soon, but here are the basics.

The Chest is at the WONC Gallery inside the Klingspor Store in Raleigh. Priced at $12,500. I'm going there sometime this weekend to check on it, make sure the price is on it and re-hide the two hidden drawers that got dislodged in transit. (ah, didn't know about the hidden drawers, guess I'm giving away the secret.) If you go there please don't disassemble the chest looking for them.

The vase is at another gallery in downtown Raleigh that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It will likely be moved the WONC Gallery soon anyway as we've had no serious interest at the other venue. It has a $2000 price tag on it currently.

All prices are negotiable. We are investigating other galleries and currently have some good leads in the Asheville area.

I'm about to send out an update to the 50 or so people that left their email addresses at the extravaganza as being interested in the two items.

We had originally planned to auction the items off, but have yet to find a suitable auction venue for these type of items. So we decided to get them visibility at various Galleries or Museums or Folk Art sites around the state.

We've also been trying to find corporate interest from NC State Enterprises. Along those lines we've been in contact with several Interior Designers that work with local corporations and have had a lot of interest but nothing firm yet.

That is the summary of the quest. A lot of interest and nobody is really balking at the price, we've just had no firm offers or commitments at this time.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't take this as an attack towards anyone but if you have these items priced and no takers or other offers then its pretty evident that there is more balking on the pricing then the BOD wants to admit.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I agree with Wayne. Even though I think very highly of the chest, it seems excessive to hope for $12,000.
i would hope a more reasonable sum can be realized and we can continue to work on such group projects together.

It seems to me that this is setting expectations too high and may actually inhibit future participation in a similar fundraising adventure.

Let's sell it and move on.

wayne

New User
wayne
I agree with Wayne. Even though I think very highly of the chest, it seems excessive to hope for $12,000.
i would hope a more reasonable sum can be realized and we can continue to work on such group projects together.

It seems to me that this is setting expectations too high and may actually inhibit future participation in a similar fundraising adventure.

Let's sell it and move on.

Having been self-employed 95% of my adult life I've learned the hard way you can price yourself out of business 2 ways. You can overprice and you can underprice.

Hopefully no one will take this the wrong way but based on this thread and the prices quoted sounds like a lot of egos got in the way of selling, don't let all the praise go to your head when it comes to price and sell time.

My dad had a saying " a fast nickel is a lot better then a slow dime any day of the week"

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Personally, I would be extremely happy to see it bring in $3000 - 5000 and get started on the next big thing.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
It would be interesting to see what the appraisal price would be set by a disinterested but qualified appraiser.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Personally, I would be extremely happy to see it bring in $3000 - 5000 and get started on the next big thing.

This. If I were to build this piece for a customer I would be quite happy with 3500.00 +/- a few hundred. I think 12,000 is a bit optimistic. [very optimistic]:wwink: but then, what do I know.....:rolleyes:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a few comments:

The chest was a great idea and the results were fantastic - for those of you that have not seen this in person, it is at the Woodworkers of North Carolina gallery, inside the Klingspor store in Raleigh. The original plan was to sell this at the Klingspor show in Hickory and Berta almost had it sold for $5k, but that did not happen and Klingspor offered to help by transporting to wherever we wanted. We choose the WONC gallery in Raleigh as it is a great showcase for quality, however it just does not draw enough possible buyers. I also spoke with WRAL with the hopes that they would do a local story about NCWW, the WONC gallery and the chest. I continue to think this would make a great story but have not gotten an audience with the right people yet - I am still trying.
Numerous galleries have requested we move it to there location, my response has always been for them to meet me at the WONC gallery so I could show them the art and quality. None have taken that next step. As for price, not one person that has seen the photos has questioned the price of $12,500 - most folks think that might be too low.
I do think we should take any offer above $5000, but I also continue to believe we could do much better. That is why I would like to get a team together to cover all possibilities.

I am sure I could have had Charlie's vase sold numerous times if I had been willing to let it go for less than $1000. I have watched Charlie making these and I am always impressed with the workmanship. I have seen the segmented turnings selling for $500 to $1000 and there is no comparison to Charlie"s work - think HF compared to LN. In my opinion, to sell his work at a basement price would be wrong.

Again, if anybody would like to help with this marketing effort please let me know

Thanks

thsb

New User
Tim
i think 12,500 is probably reasonable if it was done in this way:

that there were connections to members of the community who could afford it and we could sell them on programs that the group were doing. In particular I think the outreach programs would be of interest. Both veterans and child outreach would probably generate the most interest.

If someone donated 10,000 and got the Chest as a premium they could probably reasonably get a 8,000 tax deduction with the value of the chest at 2,000. they get a tax benefit, get to help a cause they they like, and get a great thing both to display the craftmanship and their philanthropy.

This means connections. I don't know if we have many connections with corporations or individuals who might be able to write a big check, or if we have the folks who are willing/able to try to make the pitch. If not, then I agree with the two previous posts-take what you can get and move on. Or ship it to New York and take half the price that they can get up there ;-).

This. If I were to build this piece for a customer I would be quite happy with 3500.00 +/- a few hundred. I think 12,000 is a bit optimistic. [very optimistic]:wwink: but then, what do I know.....:rolleyes:

the opportunity cost of not selling it is not that high.... If you raffled it off for $1 tickets with a minimum of selling 12,000 you would get a better value then $3500 ... plus with the site being TAX Deductible would not the higher price be more justified

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really should have added to my previous post.

The price of $12,500 is the amount discussed with interior designers, art brokers and others that would all get a hefty commission. The signage on top of the chest says proceeds from this sale will help us help the Wounded Warrior Program and the standard verbiage that it could be a tax deduction.
No price is stated. It says all offers will be considered - to date I have not received an offer

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ship it to New York might make more sense with the vase, but the chest is an NC local thing that will likely be more valuable in state.

Give us a little more time to evaluate options and we may be able to come up with an optimal plan for the disposition of these valuable pieces of art.

In the meantime, if you work for an NC Corporation that needs some local craftsmanship for their lobby, please approach the person in charge of that purchasing and ask if they have any interest. As mentioned, it can be listed as a sale plus charitable donation for any corporate entity. It never hurts to ask. If accepted, you would likely become a company hero.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim has a good point - we need to get into somebody's rolodex!

Like Roy Underhill or ??? Somebody with connections to the Carolina's who wants to support the crafts or woodworking in general. Is it possible to get a feature on NCTV? Anyone with connections there?

The problem I typically see (like the show) is people who appreciate the work or do it themselves and don't really want to buy something - alternatively sitting in a gallery may not be right because of what Tim says; "connections to members of the community"

I like Jim's idea of an appraiser is there someone qualified at Klingspore that would make a suggestion?

Maybe this is a start of a mailing list / e-mail list specifically for sales of items for fund raising?

I am just making suggestions - and a offer to help - unfortunately I don't have that deep of a rolodex to push out the message - but we should brainstorm the avenues we want to chase and maintain them through the year so when it comes time - it is not "out of the blue!"

Additionally - in future perhaps we take suggestions for what people want and then it may be easier to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS